What to bring when first visiting a monastery

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Ytrog

What to bring when first visiting a monastery

Post by Ytrog »

As some of you may know I'll be staying as a guest at Cittaviveka Buddhist Monastery next week. I wonder though what to bring. Any gifts you can recommend?
Is it usual to give donations beforehand or afterwards and in what form (electronically or cash)?

I hope you can answer these questions as I'm not sure about these things and I don't want to do this wrong.

@moderators: I don't know if "ordination" is the appropriate place for this, however I don't see any place that is really fit for these kind of practical how-to-interact-with-the-sangha questions.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
BlackBird

Re: What to bring when first visiting a monastery

Post by BlackBird »

That's Chithurst right? Some Cheese would probably be quite welcome. Not sure whether they're still doing that porridge mash up for breakfast, but some fresh fruit is always a welcome addition to the monastery stores.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Cal

Post by Cal »

Ytrog wrote:As some of you may know I'll be staying as a guest at Cittaviveka Buddhist Monastery next week. I wonder though what to bring. Any gifts you can recommend?
Here's a Dana suggestions list from the Cittaviveka blog as of April :-

http://chithurst.blogspot.com/2011/04/d ... tions.html
Ytrog wrote:Is it usual to give donations beforehand or afterwards and in what form (electronically or cash)?
Not entirely sure on the form for staying visitors, but there are a couple donations boxes in the main house and Dhamma Hall. You can post cash or cheques there. I think it's probably up to you what and when. There's more information on donations here:-

http://www.cittaviveka.org/support.money.htm

Hope this helps

Metta
Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I like to give some actual food when I visit my Wat because then it feels to me that I'm directly feeding the sangha...

On the other hand, my main donations are financial, for extremely practical reasons: that way I can give the Wat 50% more (since I can claim back about 1/3 of what I donate from the tax department)...

This might sound too calculated, but what [the trust that owns] our Wat really needs is money (to pay the mortgage, rates, electricity...).

:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote: This might sound too calculated, but what [the trust that owns] our Wat really needs is money (to pay the mortgage, rates, electricity...).
Indeed!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Thanks for the answers. I can work with that. I think I'll bring something like food (not sure what I can bring along in an airplane though) and donate money :anjali:
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ytrog wrote:Thanks for the answers. I can work with that. I think I'll bring something like food (not sure what I can bring along in an airplane though) and donate money :anjali:
If I were you Ytrog, I would buy some food for the monastery in England.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Ben wrote:
Ytrog wrote:Thanks for the answers. I can work with that. I think I'll bring something like food (not sure what I can bring along in an airplane though) and donate money :anjali:
If I were you Ytrog, I would buy some food for the monastery in England.
I said I would ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sorry Ytrog, I wasn't clear...
Buy something for the monastery in England, when you are in England.
I hope that is clearer!

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Then I misunderstood you :oops:

Thanks for the tip then :thumbsup:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, I do think they have food in England... :tongue:

:anjali:
Mike
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Just in case there is any doubt they prefer vegetarian food...fresh fruits and salads are appreciated.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I'll see whether I can pick-up some food on the way. The bus and train run on a tight schedule from the airport, but I'll try to do my best.