Request for help to Ordain under Ajahn Suchart Abhijato (Wat Yan) or Ajahn Brahm

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
confusedlayman

Re: Request for help to Ordain under Ajahn Suchart Abhijato (Wat Yan) or Ajahn Brahm

Post by confusedlayman »

Hi, I am also from India. Suddenly i got interested in him after seeing his video (Ajahn Suchart abhijato)... I think he is very high attainment. I can sence a monk with high attainment (it is keen observation)

I just started reading his book (1st page )...

have u ordained? is he accepting indian citizens? please reply me soon if u come online...
dont think
sentinel

Re: Request for help to Ordain under Ajahn Suchart Abhijato (Wat Yan) or Ajahn Brahm

Post by sentinel »

Volo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:16 pm Thanks, interesting. Have you been in this monastery? Is it suitable for intensive meditation or are there a lot of duties/noise/lay people? I'm looking for a place to stay for about a month focusing mainly on meditation. Would you recommend this place?
Hi Volo

Not sure if the place suit you or everyone .
I dimly remember 20 over years ago i stayed in wat amphawan in singburi for a short period of some two weeks . They allows foreigner to stay and practice meditation .
I was allowed to practice on my own though . Not sure nowadays . I stay alone in a small kuti . Went to the main hall each day to meditate and practise sitting , walking and postures meditation .
wake up at 3:30am; non stop sessions of meditation a day, totalling ten and a half hours; no food after midday; talking only when necessary; no mixing between men and women; no reading.
You always gain by giving
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

sentinel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:18 pm
Volo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:16 pm Thanks, interesting. Have you been in this monastery? Is it suitable for intensive meditation or are there a lot of duties/noise/lay people? I'm looking for a place to stay for about a month focusing mainly on meditation. Would you recommend this place?
Hi Volo

Not sure if the place suit you or everyone .
I dimly remember 20 over years ago i stayed in wat amphawan in singburi for a short period of some two weeks . They allows foreigner to stay and practice meditation .
I was allowed to practice on my own though . Not sure nowadays . I stay alone in a small kuti . Went to the main hall each day to meditate and practise sitting , walking and postures meditation .
wake up at 3:30am; non stop sessions of meditation a day, totalling ten and a half hours; no food after midday; talking only when necessary; no mixing between men and women; no reading.
since there is no reading, many monks or some monks claim their exp is final and dont cross check with sutta... hence immortal citta concept comes?
dont think
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

You have to calm down your mind and read carefully . You are over stressed .
Lol no readings here refer to when you are fully engaged in meditation .
You always gain by giving
Kiranraj.bodhi

Post by Kiranraj.bodhi »

@confusedlayman

Below is a couple of mails from them, which suggests that you need to pass through the scriptural section (maybe of 5 years) and pass all papers before you can get to practice Meditation in the practice section of monastery another way which Ajahn suggested is to ordain elsewhere and then come and practice with Ajahn.

Hi,

The scriptural section is the study conducted in Thai language and there are many examination paper to pass which all are in Thai language.

Usually for foreigner (male) to practice under Ajahn Suchart's guidance, he has to practice eight precept at the Monastery and follow the monk's routine. He will be given 2 weeks period to stay at the temple. If he intends to extend his stay, he has to ask for another 2 weeks extension and it will all depend on the monks' assessments whether he can follow the rules and routine at the temple. During the stay as a layperson (practising eight precept), he himself is responsible to have a valid visa to stay in Thailand because the Monastery do not have any program to sponsor visa for foreigners. After a year of probation period and practice as eight-precept, he can discuss with the assistant of Ajahn Suchart about how to ordain as a monk.

Regards,
Admin.

Hi,

For practising eight precept at the Monastery, you are not required to study the scripture class. After a year probation, you'll have to check and discuss with the assistant of Ajahn Suchart's monk on the prevailing rules and policy impose by the Monastery at that point in time.

Regards,
Admin.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Kiranraj.bodhi wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:40 am @confusedlayman

Below is a couple of mails from them, which suggests that you need to pass through the scriptural section (maybe of 5 years) and pass all papers before you can get to practice Meditation in the practice section of monastery another way which Ajahn suggested is to ordain elsewhere and then come and practice with Ajahn.

Hi,

The scriptural section is the study conducted in Thai language and there are many examination paper to pass which all are in Thai language.

Usually for foreigner (male) to practice under Ajahn Suchart's guidance, he has to practice eight precept at the Monastery and follow the monk's routine. He will be given 2 weeks period to stay at the temple. If he intends to extend his stay, he has to ask for another 2 weeks extension and it will all depend on the monks' assessments whether he can follow the rules and routine at the temple. During the stay as a layperson (practising eight precept), he himself is responsible to have a valid visa to stay in Thailand because the Monastery do not have any program to sponsor visa for foreigners. After a year of probation period and practice as eight-precept, he can discuss with the assistant of Ajahn Suchart about how to ordain as a monk.

Regards,
Admin.

Hi,

For practising eight precept at the Monastery, you are not required to study the scripture class. After a year probation, you'll have to check and discuss with the assistant of Ajahn Suchart's monk on the prevailing rules and policy impose by the Monastery at that point in time.

Regards,
Admin.
thanks.. are you ordained now ? if so where?
dont think
Kiranraj.bodhi

Post by Kiranraj.bodhi »

I am still yet to ordain , but visited few Monasteries in last year or so, i am considering Mahabodhi Monastery Bangalore simply because it's easier without all the visa hassles and the Covid19 situation and by this i may be able to go to Thailand to train under Ajahn Suchart from time to time in the future (may be post my Uppasampada 2-3 years later)

But i am still trying my best to find a Meditation Monastery because that is what i want to do, but i guess we can't get the perfect Monastery we have in mind!
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Kiranraj.bodhi wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:03 pm I am still yet to ordain , but visited few Monasteries in last year or so, i am considering Mahabodhi Monastery Bangalore simply because it's easier without all the visa hassles and the Covid19 situation and by this i may be able to go to Thailand to train under Ajahn Suchart from time to time in the future (may be post my Uppasampada 2-3 years later)

But i am still trying my best to find a Meditation Monastery because that is what i want to do, but i guess we can't get the perfect Monastery we have in mind!
I think any monestry is perfect as long as there is good guidance... all the best.
dont think
eto

Post by eto »

I was there recently and can give you the dl if you still need. Feel free to pm.
Kiranraj.bodhi

Post by Kiranraj.bodhi »

Yes please, Thank you

I have sent you a pm.