Is there any discrimination towards people with autism spectrum disorder and low IQ if they choose to ordain?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SciFiFanatic101

Is there any discrimination towards people with autism spectrum disorder and low IQ if they choose to ordain?

Post by SciFiFanatic101 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I am posting the above question because I may be part of that group. Can someone on this forum offer some information regarding this particular issue or from personal experience?

Volo

Re: Is there any discrimination towards people with autism spectrum disorder and low IQ if they choose to ordain?

Post by Volo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Ordaining as samanera shouldn't be a problem. In case of bhikkhu ordination: If a person has a serious illness, then it would be a dukkata offense (a minor offense) for the monks who ordain him. But his ordination would be valid. So as long as you can find monks who would agree to ordain you as bhikkhu, you can. There might be of course other practical problems of living in the monastery, i.e. whether you need a special assistance or not, whether your condition makes it difficult to follow the rules and monastery routine, etc.

In one monastery I saw a monk (I think he was samanera) who seemed to have something similar to what you've mentioned (i don't know exact diagnosis). He was a nice and peaceful guy. Although he was a bit slow, but he could take care of himself. So, it's possible, but you need to discuss with the monastery.

Alīno

Re: Is there any discrimination towards people with autism spectrum disorder and low IQ if they choose to ordain?

Post by Alīno » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Hello :anjali:

I dont think there is such discrinimation, but if your spectrum is havy, with havy consequances i think you have to inform abbot.

I think i have light autism spectrum too. But i would like to ask just some questions.

When you say Low IQ, do you mean by this that you have difficulties to make causes and consequances chains?
Do you have difficulties with concentration?
Autists often have some hight or low sensibility in one of sense doors (eye, ear, tongue, nose, skin, mind), do you have such kind of thing?
And generaly how this sprectrum express itself in your case?

Metta _/\_

Alīno

Post by Alīno » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:59 pm

There is dukkata if a bhikkhu ordain some one who have these 5 illnesses : the leprosy, abcesses, scabies, haemoptysis, dementia

SciFiFanatic101

Post by SciFiFanatic101 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:01 am

I have some sensory issues, particularly around noise-filled places. There are no problems regarding self-care. The issue that worries me centers around full ordination as bhikkhu, having recently discovered that I mainly recall things from memory and not fully understand them, except if I have a lot of time to ponder them, which in this fast paced society is a hard thing to do. Maybe I can get past the angarika stage and become a sramanera, but becoming a monk with all its attendant duties and responsibilities may be beyond my skill, although I will greatly benefit from the experience, since living this life with its frailties and limitations would surely require the patience and discipline of a monk.
Ordaining in a monastery in Europe would be preferable, since I would avoid the hassle of customs in a country like Thailand, but I am open to alternatives in the case that fails. What I am most curious about is the full process of training as angarika/sramanera. I know that it implies following the Eight Precepts, meditation and Vinaya and sutta study, but what kind of duties does it come with, like washing clothes, preparing food, cleaning the grounds etc.? :buddha1:

Volo

Post by Volo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:44 am

Duties vary from monastery to monastery. Some monasteries in Asia won't ask foreigners to do anything unless they themselves are willing to help, in others there might be quite a lot of duties. All depends on the abbot. I assume in European/American monasteries monks would be expected to help a lot, since there is less support from the laity.

Alīno

Post by Alīno » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello _/\_

You can stay Anagarika or Samanera all time without requesting full ordination , I think.