Shwe Oo Min Forest Meditation Center Yangon - Current Status?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Yanlin

Shwe Oo Min Forest Meditation Center Yangon - Current Status?

Post by Yanlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 am

Hello, I am wondering if anybody knows about/is connected to the Shwe Oo Min Center in Yangon, if they are open and accepting yogis etc. On their website it seems to say that Sayadaw U Tejaniya has returned to teaching, but I sent them a few email messages and have not had a reply.

Chanh Dao

Re: Shwe Oo Min Forest Meditation Center Yangon - Current Status?

Post by Chanh Dao » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 pm

I've heard that the city center is not a solid place to go and that one should go to the Forrest center

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Chanh Dao wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 pm
I've heard that the city center is not a solid place to go and that one should go to the Forrest center
Aren’t both centers closed to foreigners during Sayadaw U Tejaniya recuperation from health problems?

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:47 pm

I've been to Shwe Oo Min four times, though it appears to include "Forest" in it's title semi regularly it's definately not a forest centre. It's a collection of large dormitory buildings surrounded by villages and fields. It's a standard Burmese city centre but maybe with a more than usual cultivated gardens.

I haven't heard of there being a separate city centre, unless it's the old centre which i guess could still be operating, either way it's not where Sayaday U Tejaniya teaches.

Last time I went there I had trouble getting a reply to emails, in the end I had to make contact through the Sayadaw U Tejaniya International Group I think is on Facebook now they contacted the centre for me, so for the OP I recommend trying this.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah