Know of any good places to practice in China?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
eto

Know of any good places to practice in China?

Post by eto »

Hello. Anyone know of any good monasteries etc that one can practice in China? (Without any knowledge of the local languages?)
paul

Re: Know of any good places to practice in China?

Post by paul »

Vipassana-style retreat at Mahayana monastery:

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/t ... -monastery
eto

Post by eto »

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately they ain't doing retreats now.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I don't know of any places, but how about this region of China? There are lots and lots of small monasteries in the area where this documentary was filmed.

Hmm, looks like you'd need to speak the language.
Why do you want to go to China to practise, especially if you don't know Chinese language?
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Dharma teachers are Dharma teachers regardless of language barriers.

It can make things a bit more complicated to traverse but the language barrier should not discourage anyone from seeking a teacher or Sangha
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

eto wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:17 pm Hello. Anyone know of any good monasteries etc that one can practice in China? (Without any knowledge of the local languages?)
If you are really keen on the English language, you may want to try out Singapore. https://amuletmates.com/singapore/list- ... singapore/

Also the Chinese have a long tradition of Mahayana, although its hard to say how much of that is left after the Chicoms liquidated such "reactionary" heresies in the 70s.

Its difficult to imagine the peaceful temples surviving something like this: http://content.time.com/time/magazine/a ... 07,00.html
:sage:
paul

Post by paul »

Hong Kong Insight Meditation Society:

https://www.hkims.org/home
Retreat centre:
Located in the remote hills of Lantau Island, Fa Hong Monastery is the mediation retreat center for the Hong Kong Insight Meditation Society. We conduct regular retreats here and members can also come meditate by appointment. Our practice is based on the Four Foundation of Mindfulness (Satipatthana Sutta) taught by the Buddha.
manjughosamani

Post by manjughosamani »

Hi,

It would be good to keep in mind that if you are a foreigner in the PRC, your presence at religious events and sites not specifically geared towards tourists might lead to increased attention being directed towards the local practitioners by the authorities. This is especially pronounced amongst minority populations in the PRC,and amongst practitioners of 'foreign' religions which can include non-indigenous Buddhist schools.

Best wishes.
Sabbe saṅkhārā anicca'ti yadā paññāya passati
Atha nibbindati dukkhe esa maggo visuddhiyā.
paul

Post by paul »

manjughosamani wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:08 pm 'foreign' religions which can include non-indigenous Buddhist schools.
Theravada is well represented in Yunnan although its official role is to support the Dai people.
manjughosamani

Post by manjughosamani »

paul wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:17 pm
manjughosamani wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:08 pm 'foreign' religions which can include non-indigenous Buddhist schools.
Theravada is well represented in Yunnan although its official role is to support the Dai people.
Yes although it is primarily limited to Xishuangbanna and a few temples in other prefectures in Yunnan. Also, as you mention is primarily practiced by Dai people and a few members of other ethnic minorities in the region. I briefly visited the area last January and it is certainly possible to visit temples there, but hanging out for a long retreat as a foreigner would attract attention these days. As you are probably aware, the PRC has an interesting relationship with its non-Han Buddhist minority populations in its peripheral territories.

I'm just trying to encourage the OP to remain mindful of potential impacts for the host communities.
Sabbe saṅkhārā anicca'ti yadā paññāya passati
Atha nibbindati dukkhe esa maggo visuddhiyā.
eto

Post by eto »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:44 am I don't know of any places, but how about this region of China? There are lots and lots of small monasteries in the area where this documentary was filmed.

Hmm, looks like you'd need to speak the language.
Why do you want to go to China to practise, especially if you don't know Chinese language?
Thanks, James.. I just happen to be in China and was hoping for a foreigner friendly place that might be good for a week or two before I do a longer stint in Myanmar.

I've seen that film before and will probably head in that direction soon whatever the case :)
Zom

Post by Zom »

China is a poor place to practice theravada.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

That documentary posted above is very nice to watch. I saw it some years ago.