Meditation Visa for Myanmar

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
eto

Meditation Visa for Myanmar

Post by eto »

Hello. Just wondering if anyone knows the current situation with getting a meditation visa in Myanmar. What is the best country to obtain it, how often does it need to be renewed, and what is the cost etc?

Thank you.
Goofaholix

Re: Meditation Visa for Myanmar

Post by Goofaholix »

eto wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:50 am Hello. Just wondering if anyone knows the current situation with getting a meditation visa in Myanmar. What is the best country to obtain it, how often does it need to be renewed, and what is the cost etc?
The last two times I got mine in the Bangkok consulate with no problems, it's worth paying a bit extra to get same day service just drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. The last time was 2 years ago and I haven't heard that anything has changed. I hear KL and Singapore are also good.

It's valid for 3 months, I'm not sure what the options are for extension.

This page covers all the items you need. http://www.thabarwa.org/applying-for-my ... tion-visa/
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Volo

Re: Meditation Visa for Myanmar

Post by Volo »

I've heard that in KL they ask for a recommendation letter from Malaysian buddhist center (in addition to a sponsorship letter from Myanmar monastery). If you can acquire it, then it's straightforward, if not Bangkok is a better choice. I think prices increased a couple of years ago, but not significantly.