Should monks sacrifice their life to protect Buddhism?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Re: Should monks sacrifice their life to protect Buddhism?

Post by SarathW »

To the Dhamma I dedicate this body & this life of mine.
It is not definitely meant above.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
StormBorn

Post by StormBorn »

SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 pm Should monks sacrifice their life to protect Buddhism?
I respected Ven. Sudassana in high regard for his knowledge of Tipitaka but he always said that he was not a Sotapanna.
Now to my disappointment, he says that monks should sacrifice their life to protect Buddhism.
(This is in regard to the different interpretation of Sutta by Ven. Abhaya and the rest) He was very emotional in his speech.
The video in the Sinhalese language.
Has Buddha given any instructions on how to safeguard the teaching by lay people and monks?

Old story Sarath!

Most Sri Lankan monks are nationalist extremists. They just use Dhamma to that end--"a righteous war". This is well known since a long time. They first talk deep Dhamma to impress others, :sage: then after a while get emotional about Tamils, Muslims, etc. :guns: It just shows Dhamma in the mouth, but not in the heart! :rofl:

You can read: Buddhism, Conflict and Violence in Modern Sri Lanka by Mahinda Deegalle
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”
binocular

Post by binocular »

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:35 amBy the way what I really like to know is the extent to which a monk should take action to protect Buddhism.
I think they certainly aren't prtecting Buddhism by killing themselves or otherwise putting themselves in harm's way.

How does one "protect Buddhism" by going on a hunger strike or immolating oneself??

The Canki Sutta talks about safeguarding the truth, which we could take to mean also "protecting Buddhism". But there's no mention of hunger strikes and self-immolations there.

It's true that some Buddhists are oppressed by some other people, and these oppressors say they are opposing the Buddhists because of their Buddhism. And then some Buddhists seem to internalize this reasoning from their opponents.
But what reasons do these opponents state to justify their opposition of Buddhism? That Nibbana doesn't exist, or that it is insufficient and not worth it, or some such?

What exactly are those Buddhists who "protect Buddhism" protecting, esp. if they are less than enlightened?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
khemindas

Post by khemindas »

It's contradict to many vinaya rules. Because in many rules there is exception, that some rules may not be followed if there is a danger for life, even monk can wear layman cloth, if there is a danger for his life.
SamD

Post by SamD »

Hi Sarath.

Could you point out in the video where ven. Sudassana calls for violence or extream forms of sacrifications.

I just watch the video here and there and what I gathered from the video is he is calling monks not to be silent on the "anicca controversy".

For the people who are outoftheloop he is talking about Ven abhayas rejection of impermenance as the first mark of existence and replacing it with "not according to one's liking/will" ( and redefining of various other Pali words)

He is asking monks to come forward and procliam the Dhamma and dispell misinterpretations. He is asking not to let these few monks misinterpret Buddavacana. Gist of his speech is "we are the sons of Buddha,Sangha, if we don't act when Buddavacana is misinterpreted who will?"