Climate change will make heatwaves very dangerous for monks

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
thai_tong

Climate change will make heatwaves very dangerous for monks

Post by thai_tong »

I hope this is the correct section to post this in. I read this news article about the influence of climate change on heatwaves. The study it is based on predicts that future heatwaves in southeast asia will be too humid and hot for healthy people to survive through by natural means. Essentially the high humidity combined with a high temperature will prevent sweating from cooling people down and even those sitting in the shade would die within 6 hours of exposure.

I'm worried about how this will affect monks in southeast asia, their temple will need to have AC or at least a dehumidifier in order to keep people alive. I expect there will be one bad event before people realise the severity. Hopefully the richer countries in the area like Thailand can assist the poorer countries like Cambodia.
cappuccino

Re: Climate change will make heatwaves very dangerous for monks

Post by cappuccino »

or else Fate won't happen as we expect
Dhammanando

Re: Climate change will make heatwaves very dangerous for monks

Post by Dhammanando »

thai_tong wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:57 pm The study it is based on predicts that future heatwaves in southeast asia will be too humid and hot for healthy people to survive through by natural means.
South, not Southeast, Asia. In the accompanying charts the alleged future danger zones where Buddhists live are Bangladesh and the far North of Sri Lanka, not Cambodia and Thailand.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)