Ordain in Sri Lanka age 53?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
pbampton

Ordain in Sri Lanka age 53?

Post by pbampton »

Does anyone have any information about the possibility of being able to ordain at age 53, or maybe 54 by the time I make it there, in Sri Lanka? I am very attracted to Na Uyana but they say they dont ordain men over 40. I was told there was more possibility of being able to ordain at my age in Sri Lanka than anywhere else but I dont know how true this is. I am interested in an emphasis on meditation and solitary practice, and not particularly looking for intensive nissarana or a close relationship with a teacher as i have been living in community and teaching as a lay man for several years.

If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate it. I plan to go for Sri Lanka for 2-3 months in winter on an exploratory visit and i hope to find a monastery that would be willing to accept me.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Ordain in Sri Lanka age 53?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

pbampton wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm anyone have any information about the possibility of being able to ordain at age 53, or maybe 54 by the time I make it there, in Sri Lanka? I am very attracted to Na Uyana but they say they dont ordain men over 40. I was told there was more possibility of being able to ordain at my age in Sri Lanka than anywhere else but I dont know how true this is. I am interested in an emphasis on meditation and solitary practice, and not particularly looking for intensive nissarana or a close relationship with a teacher as i have been living in community and teaching as a lay man for several years.

If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate it. I plan to go for Sri Lanka for 2-3 months in winter on an exploratory visit and i hope to find a monastery that would be willing to accept me.
Ordain elsewhere, such as in Thailand during the vassa, when they ordain tens of thousands temporarily. Then you're already a bhikkhu, and finding a monastery in Sri Lanka will be a lot easier. You can just go there and wil have no touble finding a temporary monastery, until you get the perfect one.
paul

Re: Ordain in Sri Lanka age 53?

Post by paul »

pbampton wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm I am interested in an emphasis on meditation and solitary practice, and not particularly looking for intensive nissarana or a close relationship with a teacher
The motivation mentioned suggests you would be better off seeking a retreat for lay people:
http://nilambe.net/contact-us.php