Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sroberto

Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Post by Sroberto »

I am planning to ordain in Sri Lanka at the end of this year. I am seeking a monastery where there is an opportunity to focus on meditation, long term stability, and an English speaking teacher. I have narrowed my search to Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa. If anyone has direct experience with either or both, and would like to share their experience and advice, I would be most grateful.
User1249x

Re: Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Post by User1249x »

Can't help you unfortunately but can you tell why you like these places and sri lanka in particular? I saw that you mentioned being interested in Sutta Pitaka studies more so than Abhidhamma but are there other factors?
thanks
Chula

Post by Chula »

Considering your requirements, I would also recommend considering Mitirigala Nissarana Vanaya. The abbot Dhammjiva Thero speaks decent English.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Hermitage island?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Sroberto wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:10 pm I am planning to ordain in Sri Lanka at the end of this year. I am seeking a monastery where there is an opportunity to focus on meditation, long term stability, and an English speaking teacher. I have narrowed my search to Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa. If anyone has direct experience with either or both, and would like to share their experience and advice, I would be most grateful.
The emphasis in Na Uyana is meditation according to the Pa Auk tradition which follows the Visuddhi Magga. The emphasis in Mahamevnawa is study of the Sutta pitaka. You probably already know that but I thought that would be the main factor in your decision.
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Chula wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm Considering your requirements, I would also recommend considering Mitirigala Nissarana Vanaya. The abbot Dhammjiva Thero speaks decent English.
Thwnk you. I will look at them as well.
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

pilgrim wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 am
Sroberto wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:10 pm I am planning to ordain in Sri Lanka at the end of this year. I am seeking a monastery where there is an opportunity to focus on meditation, long term stability, and an English speaking teacher. I have narrowed my search to Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa. If anyone has direct experience with either or both, and would like to share their experience and advice, I would be most grateful.
The emphasis in Na Uyana is meditation according to the Pa Auk tradition which follows the Visuddhi Magga. The emphasis in Mahamevnawa is study of the Sutta pitaka. You probably already know that but I thought that would be the main factor in your decision.

Thank you
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Chula wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm Considering your requirements, I would also recommend considering Mitirigala Nissarana Vanaya. The abbot Dhammjiva Thero speaks decent English.
Do you have any persoanl experience there or additional insights you could share?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

When you go to Sri Lanka it should be okay to stay at both monasteries for a month, while you're a layperson. That way you can leave your final decision until after you've tried them both. The only difficulty would be extending your visa, but I understand that's no problem, just a day in Colombo filling in forms and getting stamps on passports.
Also keep in mind that when you are a monk, you can move between monasteries. Even as a junior monk you can go with the permission of your preceptor.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Here is another option for Sri Lanka.
http://bhaddekavihari.org/about
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

pilgrim wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 am

Cheers for that explanation. the visuddhi magga is from sutta pitaka no? Whats the difference between them in fact?
Do you know another type of emphasis in sri lanka (guldawa group etc...)
Tchao
BKh

Post by BKh »

pilgrim wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:25 am Here is another option for Sri Lanka.
http://bhaddekavihari.org/about
Doesn't look like they offer training.
the visuddhi magga is from sutta pitaka no?
No, Visuddhimagga is a meta-commentary. It contains some quotes from suttas, but that is not the bulk.

And it should be said that mediation is an important part of the training at Mahamevnawa. They look to the suttas for guidance and instructions on meditation, rather than later texts or modern methods.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Chula

Post by Chula »

Sroberto wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 pm
Do you have any persoanl experience there or additional insights you could share?
I was just there for a week on an individual retreat. The schedule has 6h+ of optional group meditation where monks and lay residents practice together in the Bhavana Sala and walking paths outside. They also do more organized retreats that are structured similar to a Goenka retreat, but generally the two setups don't intermingle. Bhante Dhammajiva teaches the Mahasi method which is decent if you're relatively new to meditation imo. You can get meditation advice 3 times a week - I would say the general focus is anapanasati (breath meditation). Breakfast and lunch is offered and is fully lacto-vegetarian. There was a Russian who seemed to be a raw-foodist when I was there and they even to catered to him specifically too.

The accomodations can get a bit congested for lay residents (hostel-like feel with bunk beds), but the monk kutis are well setup from what I saw.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you might have. I also plan to revisit Na Uyana in a few weeks and I can try to give a comparison if you are interested.
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Chula wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:19 am
I was just there for a week on an individual retreat. The schedule has 6h+ of optional group meditation where monks and lay residents practice together in the Bhavana Sala and walking paths outside. They also do more organized retreats that are structured similar to a Goenka retreat, but generally the two setups don't intermingle. Bhante Dhammajiva teaches the Mahasi method which is decent if you're relatively new to meditation imo. You can get meditation advice 3 times a week - I would say the general focus is anapanasati (breath meditation). Breakfast and lunch is offered and is fully lacto-vegetarian. There was a Russian who seemed to be a raw-foodist when I was there and they even to catered to him specifically too.

The accomodations can get a bit congested for lay residents (hostel-like feel with bunk beds), but the monk kutis are well setup from what I saw.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you might have. I also plan to revisit Na Uyana in a few weeks and I can try to give a comparison if you are interested.

Thanks so much. How many monks were there? What do they eat for protein there? Eggs or...?

As for Na Unya, i really have no interest in Abhidhamma so my question would be if i could focus on the suttas, 8F path, 4 NT, and meditation, especially Anapanasati and Metta.

Thanks again. Safe journey.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Chula wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:19 am

Did you go in another monastery and/or place with another perception of the dhamma?

I will go there (one way travel) in october. My plan is to stay as a lay people and doing several monastery and technoc to find the good one and staying there.

I have still question about sub theravada way in sri lanka. Like the exemple with this both monastery who practise in different way (one is more intellectual than the another if I understood correctly). But maybe we have (much?) More than 2 differents way of theravada.

what this the history of guldawa?

If u know somethings that great but I will discover there what happens :D

Cheers