Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Chula

Re: Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Post by Chula » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:25 am

paul wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:16 pm
Chula wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:06 am

I've been vegetarian all my life and protein being an issue is a complete myth.

Na Uyana follows the Pa Auk method which takes the Abhidhamma, commentaries and Visuddhimagga a bit too seriously imo.

I will be visiting Na Uyana again in a week or so where I'll get to talk to the head monks there more - I'll update my impressions if there is any change.
This information on the current teaching is welcome as there are a succession of questioners wanting information. The statement about vegetarianism is too broad though, as malnutrition depends on the individual's choices and the food available at the monastery. The protein available in Sri Lanka is more limited than in western countries and so the vegetarian practitioner has to exercise care that they are getting enough, particularly if they are excluding meat in a monastery that does not have vegetarian fare.
Climate is also a consideration, and Na Uyana is preferrred being located in the drier intermediate zone.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map ... _260252714
I was just at Na Uyana this past week and while I understand that everyone has different diet preferences, just the fact that monks from 22 different nations are living there with no apparent health issues shows that there are no issues with the food offered. In fact, Na Uyana food is so good that I've heard of monks staying there just for that.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 am

Na Uyana food is so good that I've heard of monks staying there just for that.
I hope they will graduate to the next level one day.
:popcorn:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

fornoxe

Post by fornoxe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Can you explain a bit for me what you said sarathW? :sage:

What is next step? Because for me staying in a place just for food is just totally crazy for a monk who must control his sensual feeling.

BKh

Post by BKh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 am

SarathW wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 am
Na Uyana food is so good that I've heard of monks staying there just for that.
I hope they will graduate to the next level one day.
:popcorn:
I honestly think you are misinterpreting the situation.

It is important for people to understand how much digestion problems can impact a foreigner's decisions. Some people are able to handle the change in food, but for many people the problems are so severe that they must leave the country to find relief.

It's good if we can avoid jumping to conclusions and having judgments be the default response. It's easy to criticize people and situations we actually know nothing about. And having this habit towards the sangha is especially unseemly.
ReadingFaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas | becomeabuddhist.org
audtip. org Audio Sutta Recordings | BuddhaRupa Images of the Buddha across time and space

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am

It's easy to criticize people and situations we actually know nothing about.
Agree.
This is the general attitude towards Sangha in Sri Lanka.
There is not much respect for the Sangha even though outwardly it is not obvious.
This is the result of too many corrupted monks, not following the Vinaya and general lack of knowledge of the Buddha's teaching.
Many people think monkhood is another life style.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”