Sub theravada tradition in Sri lanka (guldawa) and witch country to take the robe

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
fornoxe

Sub theravada tradition in Sri lanka (guldawa) and witch country to take the robe

Post by fornoxe »

Good hi everyone.

So first, I have to apologize. I am french and as usual we dont speak a aw' english. But, I am a traveller and know some stuff.

I would like to find a good place where I can find the strictiest monastery. In sri lanka or somewhere else.

I found the thai forest monestery and the guldawa tradition in sri lanka. But even in english, I cant find any information about difference between them.

I found this monestery : http://www.nissarana.lk/

So I will be very please if you knew or find something.

Another thinking is : should I go in sri lanka or any theravada country or learn theravada in thai forest tradition in my own country. I feel like both are attractive and negative aspect.

This is the french one theravada monastery : http://bodhinyanarama.org/

So I would like your experience about this question? Should I stay or should I go?

Cheers

Loic
fornoxe

Re: Sub theravada tradition in Sri lanka (guldawa) and witch country to take the robe

Post by fornoxe »

I am looking also for information about waturawila group :sage:
dylanj

Re: Sub theravada tradition in Sri lanka (guldawa) and witch country to take the robe

Post by dylanj »

Mithrigala Nissarana Vanaya is the monastery Venerable Bhikkhu Kaṭukurunde Ñāṇananda stayed at until he left under the impression it had gone into decline & deviated from the high standards they once held. I trust his judgment, personally.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

Anyway I'd avoid Thai/Western traditions in favor of Sri Lankan ones as a general rule. But you know not all the good places will be something you can find on google.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

thanks for reply.

Sure I cant find plenty of information on duckduckgo but Its still a good stream of information. But also, i created a topic here for people knew the fact reality about sri kanka can give me a hand.

In fact, I would like to understand the difference between theravada school especially in vinaya rules.
I'd avoid Thai/Western traditions in favor of Sri Lankan ones as a general rule
: I dont understand what you mean :mrgreen:

if you know Katukurunde Nyanananda Thera, maybe you should know also witch monestery he liked. And witch one i was before he passed

cheers
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

furtheremore, i dont eat and i dont want to eat milk eggs honey and cheese (yeah iam fr). I think its a big oppression against animals. i live without

I know bikkhu have to eat everythings they give to them. But... :shrug:

Edit : also Sri lanka is not definitive idea. Myanmar or any country around the world can be my choice.

still :reading:
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

This guide is probably the best internet resource on Sri Lankan monasteries for the serious practitioner:

Buddhist Forest Monasteries and Meditation Centres in Sri Lanka
A Guide for Foreign Buddhist Monastics and Lay Practitioners

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

cheers but i read it already few time.

We can read guldawa almost everywhere. :D But I would like more details :D I would like to understand how different tradition apply vinyana.

And what do you think about witch country I should learn theravada : my own country, sri lanka, myanmar, thailand? I would like your experience here. I already wrote a email to the french theravada monestery. But there some stuff I dont like (money, like 50 usd by days for retreat...)
And how you can do mendicity in western country? And the quality about the teacher.

I will go back in Nepal in Vipassana monestery:retreat center in Lumbini in October.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I understood somethings : Finding a small monastery, with a good abbot. far away from big money and political vision is good way to develop dhamma.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I am thinking about witch country is the best to start learning bouddhism.
First it looks hard to understand the difference between theravada and maha yana.

My brain say take the easiest (not so but i hope you understand my think), so theravada.

Myanmar and Sri lanka offers the same type of monastery and bouddhism vision? The visa in Myanmar is as easy as Sri lanka?

Thank you for your hand
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

And in fact, Thailand or Lao (I know this both country) could be good.

I am just scare about Thailand is too much westerns people and too much touristic.