A few questions...

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: A few questions...

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 am

Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote: In the Nikāyas there are no recorded cases of laypeople who attained arahantship and then continued to lead the lay life. Those who do attain it entered upon the homeless life soon after their attainment, like Yasa at Vin I 17,1–3.
Wait a sec! Bhikkhu Bodhi notes that although there are no known cases mentioned in the Nikayas, there is mention of at least one in the Vinaya. That's still part of the Pali Canon.

:reading:

:twothumbsup:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:56 am

Paul Howard wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 pm
Hi all,

Whilst my personal practice is still in its infancy I had a few queries on which I hoped fellow forum members may grant me some clarification.I meditate when possible during my daily schedule and have been reading the Dhammapada, which I have greatly enjoyed.

Firstly, it seems to me that to dedicate ones life to Dhamma practice fully, one needs to at least spend some time as an ordained monk/nun thus concentrating wholly on the Lord Buddha’s teachings, meditation and living as Buddha did himself. Is it possible to reach Nibbana without doing so? I’ve a partner and children, but would love to ordain should it be a realistic option. Also, is ordaining in the 21st century as pure and simplistic as it always has been or are things very different today? How does one negotiate language barriers or are international monestaries as pure and effective as more traditional ones?

At the moment, the only Buddhist centre in my area is of Tibetan origin. Is there any harm in me attending with the view that all Dhamma leads to one point or will it distort the Theravadan material I currently study?

I’m sure these questions will have come up in the early days of people’s practice but any guidance is greatly received!
Hi Paul,

I'm glad that you've found this path that is beautiful in the beginning, beautiful in the middle, and beautiful in the end.

My advice would be to start reading the suttas. The Dhammapada is excellent and inspiring, but it is also poetic, cryptic and thus wide open to any interpretation if one doesn't have a solid grounding in what the suttas say, i.e. basic Buddhist "doctrine" for lack of a better word. This foundation is very important. I liken it to an artist's paints, without which they could create no art. You are the artist and your brush is your skillful effort. I always recommend starting with In the Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi because you can't go wrong there.

Regarding your practice and ideas about ordaining, I'd advise letting the mind settle. Live your life and let it get used to "being Buddhist," incorporating what you can into it. I don't say this to extinguish your enthusiasm, but to temper it.

May you realize peace.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

santa100

Post by santa100 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:15 am

Paul Howard wrote:I meditate when possible during my daily schedule and have been reading the Dhammapada, which I have greatly enjoyed.
Dhammapada is a wonderful text but there're instances where one'd need some background story and context to help clarify the meaning. The link here could be useful.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am

perkele wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:48 am
After having gone off-topic already, going one step further up the ladder:
rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 am
this is not a good translation imo
i have a better one in russian, translates Fuel for Residue and also emphasises the death as exhastion of fuel in the ladder.
This is a ladder:

This is a letter:

Which one do you mean, the former or the latter, or neither?

Only joking. :P
thanks the proper word i was looking for is "latter" as it turns out. Thanks
How to Destroy any addiction
How to Meditate: Satipatthana Mahasi
Медитация Сатипаттхана Випассана
How To Develop Factors of Enlightenment & Perceptions
Complete Manual of Insight by Mahasi Sayadaw
Tyranny of Words - An Introduction to General Semantics
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/
don't feed the trolls

Paul Howard

Post by Paul Howard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 am

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Some very interesting comments to think about. I guess I should continue on my journey as I am and allow things to happen more organically and should ordination present itself as a natural transition in the future then just go with it. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has made the transition from a hardworking family man like myself to entering monastic life?