Now foreigners can ordain and train in Malaysia

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
pilgrim

Now foreigners can ordain and train in Malaysia

Post by pilgrim »

Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Now foreigners can ordain and train in Malaysia

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I can heartily recommend it. Aggacitta Bhikkhu studied Pāḷi thoroughly at Wat Tamao in Lampang, Thailand, and was the able interpreter for Sayādaw U Paṇḍita on his three-month retreat taught at Barre Mass. The published edition of the talks given by the Sayādaw in that retreat can be seen in my forum signature: "In This Very Life."

To get a taste of his teaching style, watch some of his YouTube videos.

I first met U Aggacitta at Mahāsi Yeikthā when I was there in 1979-1980.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Will the Leader of the community of monks ask one to accept that the Buddha may have visited somebody in the beginning of 20th century?

Does seem like a nice opportunity almost too good to be true, that's why i ask.
Last edited by User1249x on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Also in regards to Sotapanna being unable to break 5 precepts as a lay person, what is their position?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

The Committee gave its approval and also sorted out initial uncertainties with regards to visa matters for foreign monks.
What was this about, any special visa solution for monks?
Parinibbana

Post by Parinibbana »

User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm Will the Leader of the community of monks ask one to accept that the Buddha may have somebody in the beginning of 20th century?

I don't fully understand the question. Could you clarify further?
Last edited by Parinibbana on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parinibbana

Post by Parinibbana »

User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm Also in regards to Sotapanna being unable to break 5 precepts as a lay person, what is their position?
Usually monasteries don't have an official position on questions such as these. Different monks may have different opinions and it all boils down to what the Buddha/discourses say, and not what a certain elder in a community says (AN 4.180).

And the suttas seem to be quite vague on this point and usually simply state that a sotāpanna “possesses the virtues dear to the noble ones—unbroken, untorn, unblemished, unmottled, freeing, praised by the wise, ungrasped, leading to concentration. (e.g. SN 55.1)

Unfortunately the discourses nowhere define "virtues dear to the noble ones". Does it refer to the 4 precepts (5 minus alcohol), 5 precepts, 10 unwholesome courses of action..., which one is supposed to keep "unbroken, untorn, unblemished..."?

However, Sarakānisutta (SN 55.24) seems to imply that to keep the 5 precepts (exemplified by abstaining from alcohol) was indeed behavior that was expected of a stream-enterer. Otherwise there would have been no uproar when the Buddha declared Sarakāni the drinker to be a sotāpanna. Of course the question remains whether someone who drinks only occasionally and is not a professional drinker as Sarakāni was, would have caused the same uproar. The answer to that would only be speculation and is not possible to derive from above cited canonical passages.

Best to become a sotāpanna yourself and see how often you feel like having a beer. :toast:

With mettā,
AD
Parinibbana

Post by Parinibbana »

User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm
The Committee gave its approval and also sorted out initial uncertainties with regards to visa matters for foreign monks.
Unfortunately there is no special solution for monks. They consulted a professional visa agent (a company that earns its money by advising foreigners how to apply for visa so that there is a high chance of approval by the immigration department).
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Parinibbana wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm
Unfortunately there is no special solution for monks. They consulted a professional visa agent (a company that earns its money by advising foreigners how to apply for visa so that there is a high chance of approval by the immigration department).
Thank you for your answers, it has been a pleasant read:)
Are you affiliated with the monastery?
Parinibbana

Post by Parinibbana »

User1249x wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm
Parinibbana wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm
Thank you for your answers, it has been a pleasant read:)
Are you affiliated with the monastery?
Kind of, yes. ;-)
You may get a hint when looking at the signature under my post about the sotapanna & 5 precept question above and then search for further clues here http://www.sasanarakkha.org/monkhood.html

Good luck, Sherlock
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

thanks a lot and best of luck to you as well.
and sorry for the confusion i made a mistake there in one of the questions but it does not matter anyway
Parinibbana

Post by Parinibbana »

Parinibbana wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:52 pm
User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm Will the Leader of the community of monks ask one to accept that the Buddha may have somebody in the beginning of 20th century?

I don't fully understand the question. Could you clarify further?
Oh, I finally got it (I think).

You probably refer to L.T. Maha Boowa's biography of Ajahn Mun, who, after his own awakening, supposedly met the Buddha and asked him a bunch of questions on that occasion.
Haha; If that is what you were asking about, I can guarantee you that the leader of the SBS community does not ask one to accept this story; pretty much the opposite is the case. He would ask you to give up such a view (and whatever other sassata-diṭṭhi a person may hold).
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Absolutely correct regarding the referent of the poorly articulated question.