What is wrong with Thai tropical climat ?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
No_Mind

Re: What is wrong with Thai tropical climat ?

Post by No_Mind »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:46 am
No_Mind wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 am If he is comfortable working outside at 42 C he clearly should audition for Stan Lee's Superhumans or wait maybe that is Doodoot .. Doodoot is that you in the picture?

:namaste:
Mount Isa is dry country - very low humidity - which helps.
And country people have always stretched the truth a bit when it gave them a chance to talk down to city people. :tongue: (Not that the temperatures were exaggerated, but he might not have been quite as comfortable as he said he was.)
But yeah ...

:coffee:
Kim
Without looking down on anyone .. will like to make a point

Intellectual work requires one to be cooler .. a person like me who is comfortable wearing a thin sweater at 5 C (I am porky and that helps) is still able to walk 3 miles with a 3-4 kilo bag at 40 C heat and not collapse.

But .. if asked to write a post here after walking through 30 C heat .. I cannot ..

Perhaps his work does not require lot of mental effort whereas for city folk .. they have to present an argument to the judge or type a meaningful letter .. something that needs one to be cool and calm

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

No_Mind wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 amIf he is comfortable working outside at 42 C he clearly should audition for Stan Lee's Superhumans or wait maybe that is Doodoot .. Doodoot is that you in the picture?
My tropical office is here. No air-con ever used (although installed). Just work in my underwear, like a Naked Buddha. Work finished for the day. Time to cool off in the ocean. 4:20pm. 32 degrees. Better than in the cold weather. :smile:

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 am
:rofl:

Let's not be too silly, folks. Millions of people - billions, in fact - live happy, healthy lives in tropical climates. I'm one of them. :smile:
The question was about how westerners (who mostly don't live in a tropical environment) might find it difficult, nothing to do with people's ability to find happiness in a tropical climate. My reference was regarding westerners who go into remote forest monasteries in Asia and find it hard.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Kim OHara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 am
:rofl:

Let's not be too silly, folks. Millions of people - billions, in fact - live happy, healthy lives in tropical climates. I'm one of them. :smile:
The question was about how westerners (who mostly don't live in a tropical environment) might find it difficult, nothing to do with people's ability to find happiness in a tropical climate. My reference was regarding westerners who go into remote forest monasteries in Asia and find it hard.
Fair enough - except that (1) that wasn't the OP's question ('remote forest monasteries' were your own idea), (2) your response (...what I have heard ... its sounds very challenging) makes it fairly clear that you are answering on hearsay, and (3) your response is wildly inaccurate even in your own terms (...millipedes that bite, wild dogs, tigers, elephants...).

I apologise if my response was a bit heavy-handed but I was provoked.

Kim
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm
I apologise if my response was a bit heavy-handed but I was provoked.

Kim
Ahh, your response is on me. Got it. :anjali:
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 amThanks for chart. Yes, it's the combination of heat and humidity that gets uncomfortable. Then again, most of us wouldn't like to be outdoors in Canadian winter weather, either.

Kim
We got a nice dry -49c earlier this week in my little town in the arctic. I was just fine. Last time I went down south to visit my brother, I thought I would die with the humid -25c. In summer, I think life is great at a dry +25c and I will want to die if you add some humidity to that +25c. Humidity makes any weather worst. There is no way around it.
But as a friend from Congo once told me, it's easier to adjust to the cold because you can always add an extra layer. In intense heat, you don't get that kind of luxury.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Patrice wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:38 pm
Kim OHara wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 amThanks for chart. Yes, it's the combination of heat and humidity that gets uncomfortable. Then again, most of us wouldn't like to be outdoors in Canadian winter weather, either.

Kim
We got a nice dry -49c earlier this week in my little town in the arctic. I was just fine. Last time I went down south to visit my brother, I thought I would die with the humid -25c. In summer, I think life is great at a dry +25c and I will want to die if you add some humidity to that +25c. Humidity makes any weather worst. There is no way around it.
But as a friend from Congo once told me, it's easier to adjust to the cold because you can always add an extra layer. In intense heat, you don't get that kind of luxury.
The bit I bolded (which is close to something another member posted earlier) is true for being outdoors but only partly true for being indoors.
If you're in a house, the house will be at outdoor temps unless it's heated or cooled. Heating and cooling can be active or passive.

Active heating can be low-tech, as the other member said - a few lumps of coal or wood (or yak dung) and you're okay - or high-tech furnaces, piped heating, electrical heaters, etc.
Active cooling can only (afaik) be high-tech, i.e. air-conditioning running on electrical power.
However, power consumption of both is essentially the same. To maintain (e.g.) a 15C difference between a given house and the uncomfortable outdoors will take the same amount of power whether you're heating the place from 5C to 20C or cooling it from 35C to 20C. Since every extra 1C difference between outdoors and indoors adds about 10% to your energy consumption, it makes a lot of sense to set the thermostat a bit lower in winter and add a layer of clothing, and to set it higher in summer and dress more lightly.

Passive heating or cooling comes from house design and is too complicated to go into here except to say that traditional house designs are incredibly well adapted to their regions of origin.

Kim
(currently sitting comfortably in a 28C air-conditioned room because it's 35C outdoors and working in the garden would not be fun. :smile: )
Samana Johann 1

Post by Samana Johann 1 »

(Prefered) Climate, food, person... that is all a matter of upanissaya, strong condition. The stronger the attachment to particulary outside of the best, the lesser the chance, the lesser liberated, the more defiled.

It's like when taking tourists. If they need their usuall food, clima, persons,... around, they are incapable to discover a stranger land.

Like this, a person not capable to live under the conditions of the Noble Ones is not capable to get known strange land. Where ever such a person travels to, dwells, he is just a tourist, part of a market around the walls of the Sasana of the Buddha.

Less are those taking just a oneway ticket, leaving keys and used behind, but the Devas will open the doors. Less are real ex-patriots and many the outsiders with tramper-rucksack and gps.

(Don't) worry(!), traders will provide even with your prefered food and AC.
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.