visit to sri lanka, how to proceed?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
GinOrTonic

visit to sri lanka, how to proceed?

Post by GinOrTonic »

hello dear dhamma friends,
I'm looking forward to visiting sri lanka in order to stay at a monastery there. Unfortunately I don't know how to proceed properly. I'm interested in abhidhamma and have also learnt some Pali language.
Now I have read a guide from the BPS, where they've listed some monasteries. the question is: how can I know in advance which to chose? Do I have to make an appointment with a monastery before going there or should I just get a Visa, travel to Sri Lanka and see, what different monasteries there are? I know, a lot of people are looking for an opportunity for a retreat or meditation classes. I'm completely fine with that. I also need to improve my meditation but I also want to find a place where study (abhidhamma) will be an important part of the daily tasks. As it seems difficult to know from the distance how the different monasteries manage these things, I thought it would be a good idea to travel around the country a little bit and not to determine to much in advance. What do you think? I've never been in Southeast Asia or Sri Lanka before, so I would be very thankful if someone who has some experience could give me an advice. Is it easy to find a place in Sri Lanka where I can stay as a lay follower with serious intent on ordination by asking in person when I'm only right there on the spot?
Thank you very much in advance.
paul

Re: visit to sri lanka, how to proceed?

Post by paul »

I'm looking forward to visiting sri lanka in order to stay at a monastery there. Unfortunately I don't know how to proceed properly. I'm interested in abhidhamma and have also learnt some Pali language.
Now I have read a guide from the BPS, where they've listed some monasteries.

-Very good start, and BPS is an important connection.
https://www.bps.lk/olib/mi/mi008.pdf

the question is: how can I know in advance which to chose? Do I have to make an appointment with a monastery before going there or should I just get a Visa, travel to Sri Lanka and see, what different monasteries there are? I know, a lot of people are looking for an opportunity for a retreat or meditation classes. I'm completely fine with that. I also need to improve my meditation but I also want to find a place where study (abhidhamma) will be an important part of the daily tasks.

-This seems to be your main motivation. But you will have to follow this yourself, or if it turns out to be a serious interest, ordain and become a scholar-monk. There will be no monastery in SL where abhidhamma study for westerners is part of the daily tasks. Anyway I question your premature interest in abhidhamma; how well do you know basic dhamma? You have not mentioned the eight precepts and your ability to keep them. The first thing to do is to change your user name to something not referencing alcohol. All you can expect from the monasteries is regular group meditation sessions and possibly an interview with a teacher.

You will not find the direct instruction you are looking for in Sri Lanka and should set your sights on Pa Auk in Burma; it has teaching, courses and books all adapted for westerners. Pa Auk has a connection with Na Uyana, and you could go there at a later time, having absorbed enough knowledge for independent practice.
Last edited by paul on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
SarathW

Re: visit to sri lanka, how to proceed?

Post by SarathW »

It appears you have to apply for 30 day visa first and extend for further 90 days and again another 90 days.
There is a special clergy visa as well.

http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index ... 96&lang=en
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”