Dhutanga in west countries

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
User1249x

Re: Dhutanga in west countries

Post by User1249x »

Nwad wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:38 pm But i read some texts about dhutanga and its said that its better to purify one's heart before to engage in... But you know what is better for you :) I wish you to success in your future practice my friend :anjali:
I just know that at home i am vulnerable to influences from Another person and have many latent defilements, there are too many Forms i dont want to look at and people do "abuse kindness", praise and blame me, i get into theological discussion as much IRL as i do on this forum...

I have people who look like me telling me to be more bussiness savvy, to partner up, not give away stuff, grind 4 cash, buy BTC, get a wife, make children, go to concerts etc. People like me in general but they usually end up slandering the Tathagata or something and i tend to call them out on it.

In example i have a christian neighbour who used to tell me that i will go to hell if i dont accept Jesus Christ as my savior... I let loose on his God of course and we dont talk anymore as he avoids me like i am satan or something.

People push limits of generosity, i recently decided to explain to a person that even tho i try to help him everytime he asks for money or requisites he should realize that unwholesome impulses like anger do arise for me and i am no saint, if pushed too much i might snap and hurt him if lapsed mindfulness.

Apart from that what makes me want to start training in solitude is that i think i can make it, i am thinking about the Dhamma from i wake up till i sleep and feel good when i do, i listen to the Dhamma even when i sleep. I rarely sleep more than 3-4 hours and often awake for several days. I have trained all day schedules before and it is best times of my life. I am certain that i will not regret leaving.

Does seem like i will have all support i need, so hopefully will make a thread about tent living in a few months:D
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

User1249x wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:07 pm ...

Does seem like i will have all support i need, so hopefully will make a thread about tent living in a few months:D
Oh i understand you !... And why you do not ordain at first ?
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Nwad wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

1. I still have studentloan
2. There is only a couple monasteries in the country
3. These monasteries are not alligned with me
4. I am hestitant to take my chances with random Asian communities and me leaving the country for more than 6 months would cost me residency permit, id renounce it as i have a Russian passport as well but i would like to have double citizenship before i ordain.
5. I dont want to be Anagarika either really, id like a Samanera ordination to begin with.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

User1249x wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm
Nwad wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

1. I still have studentloan
2. There is only a couple monasteries in the country
3. These monasteries are not alligned with me
4. I am hestitant to take my chances with random Asian communities and me leaving the country for more than 6 months would cost me residency permit, id renounce it as i have a Russian passport as well but i would like to have double citizenship before i ordain.
5. I dont want to be Anagarika either really, id like a Samanera ordination to begin with.
Здравствуйте :) Не знал что Вы советский человек !
Oh! Iam russian to:) Happy to see you!

I understand better now... What is good is thzt you have a large choice of secluded place in Russia :) But i dont know how you will eat and drink, unless babushkas gives you some supply... You have to prepare all that little details before going forth my friend !
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Nwad wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 pm What is good is thzt you have a large choice of secluded place in Russia
Yeah Russia still has a lot of forest and land, especially east of siberia. Land there is good for training and is close to the 3 Buddhist republics.

I am thinking maybe one can live on a dumpster place or something, eating garbage and wearing rags. It is what homeless people do isnt it? Maybe it is best to do that until non-return :shrug:

Does anybody know good dumpster locations with lax visa policy or little law enforcement?
Sweeney

Post by Sweeney »

Nwad wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 am Rightview, be carefull about your motivation to practice dhutanga, because if you do it because of hatred toward society, its not will be good for your practice :(
It said that the only reason to practice ghutanga its not prise or hatred or super powers but only mastering of the Path as Buddha practiced it...

:anjali:
To quote Buddhaghosa's Visuddhimagga:
86. For whom the cultivation of ascetic practices is suitable: [they are suitable] for one
of greedy temperament and for one of deluded temperament. Why? Because the
cultivation of ascetic practices is both a difficult progress and an abiding in
effacement; and greed subsides with the difficult progress, while delusion is got
rid of in those diligent by effacement. Or the cultivation of the forest-dweller’s
practice and the tree-root-dweller’s practice here are suitable for one of hating
temperament; for hate too subsides in one who dwells there without coming into
conflict.
Now I know this can come into contradiction with with the sutta's and similar texts such as the Vimuttimagga, but personally I tend to agree with Buddhaghosa on this point. And if one is undertaking such a practice to help ease one's mind, then as such, one is merely putting oneself into an agreeable environment in which to practice the path.
Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ
Kusalassa upasampadā
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ
Etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ
~ Dhp 183 ~