Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
- Posts: 2464
- Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Meezer77 wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm
I think you find in a lot of these cases the person is eventually held to account. Takes a while, for instance look at Sogyal Rinpoche. Because some of these people become so high powered and celebrity like they think that the standards that apply to the rest of us don't to them
I don't understand how they are not afraid
to do such things. Breaking the precept against not engaging in sexual misconduct, while being a respected teacher, receiving alms based on that respect?
307. There are many evil characters and uncontrolled men wearing the saffron robe. These wicked men will be born in states of woe because of their evil deeds.
308. It would be better to swallow a red-hot iron ball, blazing like fire, than as an immoral and uncontrolled monk to eat the alms of the people.
However, I don't know what the rules regarding sexual behaviour are, for Lamas and Rinpoches, but somehow I expected that sleeping with female disciples would be forbidden, and grounds for their title being removed, at least??
Last edited by manas
on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.
- Dhp 40
- Posts: 200
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm
- Location: Scotland
Don't they believe in rebirth according to kamma?
Maybe, maybe not. It's not just in Buddhism that you see this kind of thing, all religions have had scandals involving some of their leaders. Absolute power corrupts. I'm still optimistic that good monks and nuns exist though. Consensual sex is forgivable IMO, but in Sogyal's case there was coercion and assault and battery involved. It shouldn't be so surprising, you get bad people in all walks of life. Samsara
- Posts: 1521
- Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am
Sex is the most difficult desire, for everyone.
Users browsing this forum: Faelig and 20 guests