Making Hats for Monastics

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
J.Lee.Nelson

Making Hats for Monastics

Post by J.Lee.Nelson »

Hello Friends,

At a discount shop I have had some luck in finding a quantity of wool yarn in rusty orange. I would like to use it to make hats for Buddhist monastics. My questions are as follows:

1. Are there any preferred knitting or crochet patterns?

2. Should all hats be more or less identical, or is it okay to make different styles?

3. Which monasteries or nunneries need hats the most?

4. Other suggestions/comments regarding making or distributing hats for monastics?

:thanks:
Mr Man

Re: Making Hats for Monastics

Post by Mr Man »

robertk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 am Do monks wear hats?
Yes.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

J.Lee.Nelson wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:51 am Hello Friends,

At a discount shop I have had some luck in finding a quantity of wool yarn in rusty orange. I would like to use it to make hats for Buddhist monastics. My questions are as follows:

1. Are there any preferred knitting or crochet patterns?

2. Should all hats be more or less identical, or is it okay to make different styles?

3. Which monasteries or nunneries need hats the most?

4. Other suggestions/comments regarding making or distributing hats for monastics?

:thanks:
If you have the skills to adapt the hats according to the needs of monastics, my advice would be as follows. Contact your local monastery, or the nearest monastery where they experience cold weather, and ask them. Then get knitting/crocheting, and send or take them. I live in the UK, so the monks and nuns I know tend to need warm hats and would I imagine be very grateful.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Buddha save me from new-agers!
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Woolly hats are essential in the winter, especially in the north of Thailand where temperatures can drop down to zero or even below, such as today (apparently Doi Inthanon was even colder -5 Celsius at 2600 meters).
Attachments
203613.jpg
203613.jpg (207.91 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
J.Lee.Nelson

Post by J.Lee.Nelson »

Ha! Those are super-cute!
J.Lee.Nelson

Post by J.Lee.Nelson »

gavesako wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 am Woolly hats are essential in the winter, especially in the north of Thailand where temperatures can drop down to zero or even below, such as today (apparently Doi Inthanon was even colder -5 Celsius at 2600 meters).
Oh! I would love to send some hats to Thailand. I'm not sure if they will be done by the end of this winter, but whenever they are done, is there a particular address to send them to? I'm not sure that a box labelled "To the Buddhist monks in Doi Inthanon National Forest, Thailand" would get where it needs to go. How many monks need hats there?
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

J.Lee.Nelson wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:48 pm
gavesako wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 am Woolly hats are essential in the winter, especially in the north of Thailand where temperatures can drop down to zero or even below, such as today (apparently Doi Inthanon was even colder -5 Celsius at 2600 meters).
Oh! I would love to send some hats to Thailand. I'm not sure if they will be done by the end of this winter, but whenever they are done, is there a particular address to send them to? I'm not sure that a box labelled "To the Buddhist monks in Doi Inthanon National Forest, Thailand" would get where it needs to go. How many monks need hats there?
Well, as there are more than 200 thousand monks in Thailand which is currently experiencing very low temperatures, you will have a lot of knitting to do:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... d/30334468

But don't worry, most monasteries have stashes of hats that people like to make and donate to them every year.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Good photo! Yes, it has been chilly in BKK, too. For the last 3 nights, I had to sleep with a light blanket up to my neck. It's a welcome change from the incessant heat. :twothumbsup: