Sri Lankan Tourist Visa

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Yong Fa

Sri Lankan Tourist Visa

Post by Yong Fa »

Dear Dhammawheel,

I am currently planning to visit Na Uyana Aranya (NUA) in Sri Lanka with the intention of ordaining there. I am from the US and do not intend to return to my country for reasons I do not wish to get into. In other words, I am assuming that I will ordain at NUA. I have never visited Sri Lanka and have a few visa questions.

The tourist visa application says that, when we arrive at a Sri Lankan airport, we are required to have either i) a plane ticket for a flight back to our country of origin, or ii) a ticket to another country.

NUA has told me that they send potential long-term residents to Malaysia or India after their initial stay so that they can apply for an entry visa. However, I do not know how long my initial stay will be, so I currently cannot purchase the ticket that would allow me to apply for a tourist visa.

I am weighing the below options:

1) Arrive in Sri Lanka without a ticket departing the country

In other words, hope that I will not be asked to produce a departing ticket when I arrive at the airport.

2) Buy an open-ended ticket to Malaysia from Sri Lanka

I do not know how much this will cost, but I have heard such tickets are more costly.

3) Buy a plane ticket to Malaysia within 3 months of my arrival in Sri Lanka

I am leaning toward this option, as CMB to Kuala Lumpur flights are relatively inexpensive. If I ordain at NUA, I will eventually have to fly to Malaysia anyway.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you have had similar experiences.

Thank you,
Yong Fa
SarathW

Re: Sri Lankan Tourist Visa

Post by SarathW »

Arrive in Sri Lanka without a ticket departing the country
My advice is, do not travel without doing your homework.
The last thing what you want is to stranded in an airport.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
vittalpatil85

Re: Sri Lankan Tourist Visa

Post by vittalpatil85 »

I am from India. Flight tickets from India chennai to Colombo is max 4000 inr.and Colombo to chennai is around 6000 inr. If you can't get entry visa to srilanka in your country then India might be a good option. I am not sure about traveling to Sri Lanka without a return ticket. Better ask na uyana people.

With Metta,
Vittal
Be Happy