Who can ordain a Samaneri?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
pilgrim

Who can ordain a Samaneri?

Post by pilgrim »

Can the Samaneri Pabbaja be performed by a Bhikkhu Upajjaya or must it be done by a Bhikkhuni Upajjhaya?
:anjali:
Mr Man

Re: Who can ordain a Samaneri?

Post by Mr Man »

Hi Pilgrim
Not sure if this gives you a definitive answer - "The Samaneri Ordination (Pabbajja) of Sayalay Vimalanyani took place on Tuesday 17th February 2015 in the Big Cave. Ajahn Sujato performed the ordination."

http://santifm.org/santi/2015/02/17/sam ... malanyani/
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Mr Man wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am Hi Pilgrim
Not sure if this gives you a definitive answer - "The Samaneri Ordination (Pabbajja) of Sayalay Vimalanyani took place on Tuesday 17th February 2015 in the Big Cave. Ajahn Sujato performed the ordination."

http://santifm.org/santi/2015/02/17/sam ... malanyani/
Yes, it confirms my belief that a Bhikkhu Upajjhaya is sufficient to ordain a Samaneri.
Which leads to the question - Can a Bhikkhuni ordain a samaneri?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

pilgrim wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:07 am Yes, it confirms my belief that a Bhikkhu Upajjhaya is sufficient to ordain a Samaneri.
Which leads to the question - Can a Bhikkhuni ordain a samaneri?
The Vinaya Piṭaka and Vinaya Commentary don't say who is allowed to give sāmaṇerī-pabbajjā. Post-commentarial texts like the Mahāvaṃsa and Vinaya sub-commentaries say that only a bhikkhunī may do so.
But the Queen Anulā, who had come with five hundred women to greet the theras, attained to the second stage of salvation. And the queen Anulā with her five hundred women said to the king: “We would fain receive the pabbajjā-ordination, your Majesty.”

The king said to a thera, “Bestow on them the pabbajja!” But the thera made answer to the king: “It is not allowed to us. O great king, to bestow the pabbajjā on women. But in Pataliputta there lives a bhikkhunī, my younger sister, known by the name Saṅghamittā. She, who is ripe in experience, shall come hither bringing with her the southern branch of the great Bodhi-tree of the king of samaṇas, O king of men, and (bringing) also bhikkhunīs renowned (for holiness); to this end send a message to the king my father. When this therī is here she will confer the pabbajjā upon these women.”
(Mahāvaṃsa ch. XV)
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)