Forest Monasteries around Lampung or Chiang Mai

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Ṭhānuttamo

Forest Monasteries around Lampung or Chiang Mai

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dear all,
do you happen to know about any forest monasteries or meditation centres near Lampung and Chiang Mai or the genral north of Thailand? Some main parameters important for a potential residence of mine:

1. General respect and practical upholding of the bhikkhu-vinaya.
2. Resemblance to a hermitage where one would be free to structure ones practice and study.
3. Quietude and acceptable Hygiene.

Much appreciate your advise.
Much mettā
Dhammanando

Re: Forest Monasteries around Lampung or Chiang Mai

Post by Dhammanando »

A. Bhikkhu wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am2. Resemblance to a hermitage where one would be free to structure ones practice and study.
3. Quietude and acceptable Hygiene.
Regarding #2, exactly how eremitical do you want it to be? I mean do you wish to be entirely by yourself with little or no interaction with other monks? Or is it enough that you'll be alone for the greater part of the day?

As for #3, you don't really need to concern yourself with it. If it's a forest wat it will be quiet; if it's in Thailand it will be hygienic.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ṭhānuttamo

Re: Forest Monasteries around Lampung or Chiang Mai

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dhammanando wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 am
Regarding #2, exactly how eremitical do you want it to be? I mean do you wish to be entirely by yourself with little or no interaction with other monks? Or is it enough that you'll be alone for the greater part of the day?

As for #3, you don't really need to concern yourself with it. If it's a forest wat it will be quiet; if it's in Thailand it will be hygienic.
Bhante,
thank you for your answer and the further probing.

As to no. 2: Actually at present I would prefer no interaction at all or absolute minimal, or just to a few selective individulas who wish to further there practice in earnest. I could also live in nature, though it had to have at least some very basic structure, such as access to water. A monastery would be currently preferable for me after all.

As to no. 3:
I wish truly I could confirm your statements but I am afraid not being able to. Unfortunately I came to notice an almost ubiquitous noise pollution, such as some full volume karaoke in the deepest forests (wat yan in Chonburi for example) or the like or the lodgings are very closely spaced and the community has perhaps a minor focus on practice and so lively talking and related social phenomena occur rather often, nightly dog barking can be quite disturbing too. I miss quietude in terms of a European standard, though I believe it can be satisfying here as well, but again to equate Thailand with quietude I would not do. Similar holds true for hygiene in my experience, not found everywhere ... But maybe you were more lucky than me ... I would be very happy to receive directions in any case.

Mettā