Ordination in Thailand

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Lombardi4

Re: Ordination in Thailand

Post by Lombardi4 »

Wow, thank you, Bhante! An eloquent and informative reply once again. I personally am confused now with regards to the merits of vegetarianism now that I've read this sutta, although if I make a further comment about vegetarianism, it would veer towards off-topic. Thank you again, though!
charitha

Post by charitha »

Is there any ordination self course opportunity in thailand?
Rune from Denmark

Post by Rune from Denmark »

Hello.

If one wishes to ordain in the dhammayut, and train with Ajahn Martin, How long time shall one stay in white Before ordination can take place? Of course it is an individual case, but how long time typically?

Kind regards
Rune :-)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Hello i wanted to travel to thailand to ordain only if my father wants, but there is not religious visa, only tourist visa, and only lasts 3 months, if you stay more you can be considered criminal. I hope in the future the government from thailand create the religious visa to those that want to stay longer as religious person.
JustMartin

Post by JustMartin »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:45 am Foreign nationals wishing to ordain in Thailand [...] are now required to bring a copy of their police record in their native country and submit it to their upajjhāya before ordaining.
Is this in effect now? Do you have more information on this? I was not able to find any information on this online. Does native country mean country of residence or passport country? Do the records need to be translate either into Thai or English?
JustMartin

Post by JustMartin »

My understanding on the Thai visa situation is, that you can get any of the following visa categories: Non-Resident ED, Non-Resident R or Non-Resident
O. All of these will be valid for 90 days and can be extended after that.

Also, here is a book that was sent to me by a temple in Thailand:
https://buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ordination.pdf

It has some information on the ordination procedure and responsibilities of a Bhikkhu.
Garlic

Post by Garlic »

The visa situation in Thailand is rather straight forward:
you get a tourist visa that is easily obtainable that is valid for 2 months and can be extended for 30 days.

You use that during your anagarika period. After the one time extension you simply take a quick trip to a bordering country to exit the country making you eligible to apply for a visa again (it may be that you'd only be eligible for a 30 day visa with a 30 day extension).

Rinse and repeat - you do this as many times as needed until you become ordained, after which point the monastery will take care of your visa needs for you where they get special 1 year visas for foreign monks that are renewed once every year by the monastery.

The issue is the border run costs - transportation costs, the border country visa costs, Thai tourist visa costs, possible hotel/food expenses. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way around it.

There's something called Elite Visa but it costs a lot of money