Anagarika is post-canonical invention

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
khemindas

Anagarika is post-canonical invention

Post by khemindas »

The terms Anagārika and Anagarikā does not appeared in the Pali canon - Tipitaka, laity Upasaka and Upasika has accepted 8 precepts only on Uposatha days. So those terms appeared only in Atthakatha and later Pali literature. Originally Upasaka accepted 8 precepts only in Uposatha days, and if they wanted go further they became Samaneras, and finally Bhikkhus.
User156079

Re: Anagarika is post-canonical invention

Post by User156079 »

It is definitely a post-canonical invention, in the Sutta Pitaka i have only seen 4 month probation for converts and novice ordination for young people.
Is it common in Burma to ordain as Anagarika?
Does anybody know who invented Anagarika ordinations?
khemindas

Post by khemindas »

User156079 wrote:It is definitely a post-canonical invention, in the Sutta Pitaka i have only seen 4 month probation for converts and novice ordination for young people.
Is it common in Burma to ordain as Anagarika?
Does anybody know who invented Anagarika ordinations?
In Myanmar I never saw any Anagarika. It's supposed to be most invented by Anagarika Dharmapala in Sri Lanka https://books.google.com/books?id=Q11ID2xfqD8C&pg=PA198 . But how it was invented in wat pananachat thai ajahn chaa monastery i don't know.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Interesting -- I'd not heard of this status/function, but have observed white-clothed assistants with Burmese monks. I thought they were novices.

When U Pandita Sayadaw was last here in San Jose, a couple of years ago at Vesak, there was an American woman in his retinue who translated his dhamma talk into English. She wore all white. I talked with her briefly, asked if she were a bhikkhuni; she said no. I didn't know to ask of "Anagarika" status then.

A Vietnamese woman at the same center, who often translates dhamma talks into Vietnamese (the monastery with Burmese monks, is in the heart of the "Little Saigon" area of San Jose, Calif.), also seems to live and work there, and often wears all white.

This video that shows Mahasi Sayadaw, ca. 1952, shows a procession of people in what looks like white robes: (at ca. 4 minutes 25 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U7TtSeOlG4
User156079

Post by User156079 »

wonder what happens if a lay Arahant was ordained as Anagarika :thinking:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

User156079 wrote:wonder what happens if a lay Arahant was ordained as Anagarika :thinking:
They would become very experienced at washing dishes, sweeping, and cleaning, in addition to being an Arahant. :tongue:
User156079

Post by User156079 »

Bhante Lucky wrote:
User156079 wrote:wonder what happens if a lay Arahant was ordained as Anagarika :thinking:
They would become very experienced at washing dishes, sweeping, and cleaning, in addition to being an Arahant. :tongue:
What i was getting at is whether or not the state of an Anagarika could support Arahantship. I am inclined to guess that it can not because Anagarikas are widely regarded as lay people by both monastics and the laity.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhante Lucky wrote:
Ha, Ha That is how you motivate the Anagarika to become a samanera.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”