Why many Buddhist monks are over weight?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dhammanando

Re: Why many Buddhist monks are over weight?

Post by Dhammanando »

Sroberto wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm But I never noticed anyone forcing monks to eat more than they wanted. But it may happen, the way you say
When the home owner has provided all the food herself then it's less likely to happen. But if the guests have each brought along an item of food then it's common for them to sit watching the monks while they eat to ensure that their particular offering is being consumed. When the meal's about halfway through if none of the monks have touched it or are eating only a little of it, it's then that the hinting begins: "Oh luang por, have compassion for me. I really need some merit, but you haven't eaten any of the water buffalo's afterbirth that I brought!" At that point the senior monk will start pointing to the dishes that nobody has eaten and giving orders to his juniors to "Chalong satthaa chao baan!"
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pmAt that point the senior monk will start pointing to the dishes that nobody has eaten and giving orders to his juniors to "Chalong satthaa chao baan!"
Dear lord, some horribly unseemly farming analogies come to mind ...

Surely giving food to monks isn't the only way for the lays to make merit!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sroberto

Post by Sroberto »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm
Sroberto wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm But I never noticed anyone forcing monks to eat more than they wanted. But it may happen, the way you say
When the home owner has provided all the food herself then it's less likely to happen. But if the guests have each brought along an item of food then it's common for them to sit watching the monks while they eat to ensure that their particular offering is being consumed. When the meal's about halfway through if none of the monks have touched it or are eating only a little of it, it's then that the hinting begins: "Oh luang por, have compassion for me. I really need some merit, but you haven't eaten any of the water buffalo's afterbirth that I brought!" At that point the senior monk will start pointing to the dishes that nobody has eaten and giving orders to his juniors to "Chalong satthaa chao baan!"

[/quote]

No, I never saw that in 15 years. But it was almost never "pot luck" always a homeowner providing all the food herself. Shared food occaisions were usually wedding receptions but by then the monks had already returned to temple. Perhaps this is an Issan practice? Or maybe I just never noticed it. The only thing I ever saw being demanded of monks was for lucky numbers for the lottery. So I guess if people are willing to demand that they are willing to demand monks eat more. In Thailand you never really know what is real, or even if there is such a thing as real. But what a predicament, being forced to ever eat ever day would be
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What a co-incidence!
They have done this research the same year I posted this.
==============
Health issues
Rising obesity among monks[51] and concerns for their well-being has become an issue in Thailand. A study by the Health Ministry in 2017 of 200 Bangkok temples found that 60 percent of monks suffer from high cholesterol and 50 percent from high blood sugar.[52] Public health experts attribute this to two factors. First, monks are required to accept and eat whatever is given to them on their daily alms rounds. Second, monks are not permitted to engage in cardiovascular exercise as it is undignified. Monks eat only two meals per day, breakfast and lunch. But the remainder of the day they are allowed to drink nam pana, which includes the juice of fruit less than fist-sized, often high in sugar. To combat the high rate of non-communicable diseases among monks, the National Health Commission Office (NHCO) issued a pamphlet, National Health Charter for Monks,[53] designed to educate monks and laypeople alike as to healthy eating habits.[52]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
char101

Post by char101 »

Monks are required to accept the food given but are they also required to eat it all?
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

maybe not always because an excess of food.

Refined flours and other modern food engineering are terrible for that issue.

SarathW wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:37 am Public health experts attribute this to two factors. First, monks are required to accept and eat whatever is given to them on their daily alms rounds. Second, monks are not permitted to engage in cardiovascular exercise as it is undignified.
too much common not saying one word about the food quality. The business is the only sacred today.
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

To put it bluntly eating releases dopamine especially eating good tasting food which monks often do, that combined with austerities and a very carb heavy, sugar heavy diet leads to over eating, a lack of exercise and a dependence on food for dopamine release.

Of course this is all on a case by case basis but in general this is where obesity in monastics is coming from.

When the only sensual stimulation you may have for an entire day is the meal that you're eating you may tend to put a bit too much focus on prolonging that experience. Ie; overeating.

Also in following along with the vinaya rules monks who wish to continue consuming throughout the day are basically only allowed sugar which leads to a high rate of diabetes in senior monastics that I've met.