Why many Buddhist monks are over weight?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dhammanando

Re: Why many Buddhist monks are over weight?

Post by Dhammanando » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Sroberto wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm
But I never noticed anyone forcing monks to eat more than they wanted. But it may happen, the way you say
When the home owner has provided all the food herself then it's less likely to happen. But if the guests have each brought along an item of food then it's common for them to sit watching the monks while they eat to ensure that their particular offering is being consumed. When the meal's about halfway through if none of the monks have touched it or are eating only a little of it, it's then that the hinting begins: "Oh luang por, have compassion for me. I really need some merit, but you haven't eaten any of the water buffalo's afterbirth that I brought!" At that point the senior monk will start pointing to the dishes that nobody has eaten and giving orders to his juniors to "Chalong satthaa chao baan!"

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:51 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm
At that point the senior monk will start pointing to the dishes that nobody has eaten and giving orders to his juniors to "Chalong satthaa chao baan!"
Dear lord, some horribly unseemly farming analogies come to mind ...

Surely giving food to monks isn't the only way for the lays to make merit!
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Sroberto

Post by Sroberto » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:59 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm
Sroberto wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:54 pm
But I never noticed anyone forcing monks to eat more than they wanted. But it may happen, the way you say
When the home owner has provided all the food herself then it's less likely to happen. But if the guests have each brought along an item of food then it's common for them to sit watching the monks while they eat to ensure that their particular offering is being consumed. When the meal's about halfway through if none of the monks have touched it or are eating only a little of it, it's then that the hinting begins: "Oh luang por, have compassion for me. I really need some merit, but you haven't eaten any of the water buffalo's afterbirth that I brought!" At that point the senior monk will start pointing to the dishes that nobody has eaten and giving orders to his juniors to "Chalong satthaa chao baan!"

[/quote]

No, I never saw that in 15 years. But it was almost never "pot luck" always a homeowner providing all the food herself. Shared food occaisions were usually wedding receptions but by then the monks had already returned to temple. Perhaps this is an Issan practice? Or maybe I just never noticed it. The only thing I ever saw being demanded of monks was for lucky numbers for the lottery. So I guess if people are willing to demand that they are willing to demand monks eat more. In Thailand you never really know what is real, or even if there is such a thing as real. But what a predicament, being forced to ever eat ever day would be