Seeking advice on the best way to apply Ajahn Mun's dhutanga kammaṭṭhāna practice in modern times

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
dylanj

Seeking advice on the best way to apply Ajahn Mun's dhutanga kammaṭṭhāna practice in modern times

Post by dylanj »

Hello. I have been a Buddhist for 3 years. I have been intent on (eventually) since this past February. As of a couple months ago I have committed to Theravāda Buddhism, through my amazement with and faith in the Thai Forest Tradition, esp. Ajahn Mun. I recently read his biography, written by Ajahn Mahā Bua. I am very, very intent on pursuing his style of practice.

Initially my intention was to practice & ordain in his lineage but after reading parts of a book on the history of the Thai Forest Tradition & discovering that the forest wandering style of practice has nearly, if not wholly, died out in Thailand due to deforestation I am very discouraged...I feel if his lineage is not able to employ his style of practice given modern conditions then it would be better to prioritize pursuing his style of practice rather than lineage, even if that means joining a completely different lineage of Theravāda Buddhism.

I am aware of the many western monasteries in this lineage. I am not interested in them. I have great respect for them & their abbots but by my understanding they fail to fully immerse themselves in deep, secluded wilderness in a manner which provokes the sort of fear that was so integral to the early Thai Forest Tradition.

So does anyone have advice? If you wanted to practice as a wandering forest monk who were to undertake the dhutanga practices & largely live in solitude where would you go? Who would you practice under? Is there any genuine potential for this sort of practice to be undertaken in modern Thailand? Burma? Laos? Vietnam? Sri Lanka? China, even? Where can I practice Theravāda Buddhism in a manner that lives up to what Ajahn Mun taught his disciples?
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Dhammanando

Re: Seeking advice on the best way to apply Ajahn Mun's dhutanga kammaṭṭhāna practice in modern times

Post by Dhammanando »

maranadhammomhi wrote:So does anyone have advice? If you wanted to practice as a wandering forest monk who were to undertake the dhutanga practices & largely live in solitude where would you go?
I think Ajahn Mun's path would be best replicated in the present time by ordaining and getting one's formative training in a Thai Dhammayutt forest wat and then (after five years or so) moving to Sri Lanka and following in Ñāṇavimala's footsteps.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
dylanj

Re: Seeking advice on the best way to apply Ajahn Mun's dhutanga kammaṭṭhāna practice in modern times

Post by dylanj »

Dhammanando wrote: I think Ajahn Mun's path would be best replicated in the present time by ordaining and getting one's formative training in a Thai Dhammayutt forest wat and then (after five years or so) moving to Sri Lanka and following in Ñāṇavimala's footsteps.

Thank you, Bhante. I will keep this recommendation in mind, & thank you for sharing the article.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Very interesting story Bhante.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

The dhutangas are still practiced in the Thai forest tradition, though not to the extent of the middle of the last century but I think there are opportunities to live rough and get out of your comfort zone if you want it or need it. In the thai forest monasteries I've stayed in there always seemed to be monks practicing one or two dhutangas, or leaving or returning from tudong or retreat in remote places.

The first step is to ordain, once you've trained with your teacher for 5 years then you are free to go and live where you want, there won't be so many opportunites to sleep on paths frequented by tigers but caves frequented by snakes and suchlike is a possibility.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote:Very interesting story Bhante.
I see that there's now a whole website devoted to the late thera:

http://ven-nyanavimala.buddhasasana.net/
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
upekha

Post by upekha »

I had the good fortune of meeting this Venerable Thero twice and offering Dana. His student Venerable Nanaloka thero now goes on Charika . I saw him a few years ago, just about to leave on Charika, he was barefooted and not even carrying an umbrella. He only had his Bowl . It was very inspiring to see a Buddha Puthra following the way of the elders in the times of the Buddha.

With metta
upekha

Post by upekha »

I visited a forest Monastery in Sri Lanka last Sunday. The monks don't go on Charika but do live in the forests. Each Kuti is about 5 km away from the other. You can read about it here.

http://bhaddekavihari.org/about

The Chief monk will be in Perth for three weeks . He will be residing at Ajahn Brahms' monastery.

With metta
robertk

Post by robertk »

Dhammanando wrote:

Fascinating . Thanks for that.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

robertk wrote:
Dhammanando wrote:

Fascinating . Thanks for that.
Indeed. :thanks:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Seymour

Post by Seymour »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 am
maranadhammomhi wrote:So does anyone have advice? If you wanted to practice as a wandering forest monk who were to undertake the dhutanga practices & largely live in solitude where would you go?
I think Ajahn Mun's path would be best replicated in the present time by ordaining and getting one's formative training in a Thai Dhammayutt forest wat and then (after five years or so) moving to Sri Lanka and following in Ñāṇavimala's footsteps.
I followed the link on this post, I'm pretty positive my teacher in the U.S met & studied with Bhante Guttasīla when he lived at Wat Bowon. Eventually they went to another temple and took Thudong. He will be happy to know that he is still around.
Simple living high thinking.
Seymour

Post by Seymour »

:bow:
Seymour wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:16 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 am
I followed the link on this post, I'm pretty positive my teacher in the U.S met & studied with Bhante Guttasīla when he lived at Wat Bowon. Eventually they went to another temple and took Thudong. He will be happy to know that he is still around.
Or at least that he was still around in 2012? and in robes. :bow:
Simple living high thinking.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

What is keeping people from practicing in this way, what has changed since Ajahn Mun's time?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

User1249x wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm What is keeping people from practicing in this way, what has changed since Ajahn Mun's time?
Mainly the forests were cut down. There are now very few forested areas in Thailand, and no wildlife. The jungle was cleared for farming, and the wild animals were all eaten or hunted out.