Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sokehi

Re: Bhikkhuni Ordination performed - by Ajahn Brahmavamso

Post by Sokehi »

daverupa wrote:Here is an article from 2011; apparently they do not have legal recognition, so perhaps the jailed issue relates to this?

I like to quote this:
"“I love that it is easy to touch and talk with Dhammananda,” said Khun Tip, a layperson who visits the monastery daily. “Women who have problems with their husbands or families cannot talk to male monks about these things.”"

Something that is often forgotten... I hope there will be fully accepted bhikkhunis asap all over the world. Not to optimistic though.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The first part of Ven­er­a­ble Phra Payutto’s book ‘The Bud­dhist Dis­ci­pline in Rela­tion to Bhikkhu­nis: Ques­tions & Answers: Phra Payutto & Dr. Mar­tin Seeger’ is now available (also touching on the issue of the newly ordained bhikkhunis in the West):

http://www.buddhistteachings.org/the-bu ... bhikkhunis

:reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

an excellent read, Bhante!

Just a few quotes:
As I have said before, the inability to be ordained as bhikkhunis is not a matter
exclusive to women—the same case can occur for men. If the bhikkhu order dies
out, men still have the right to be ordained, but they won’t be able to do so. It is the
same for both genders. The Theravadan bhikkhuni order died out. Eventually, the
bhikkhu order will die out too, although we don’t know when this will happen or
due to what circumstances.
This is not an issue requiring a claim to women’s rights. To do so stems from a
misunderstanding. Why make such claims?—the right for women to ordain as
bhikkhunis still exists. The question is where women can be ordained—who has the
authority to give them ordination?
Therefore, I say this matter is being acted on too rashly, with a lack of
adequate clarity. It is the future bhikkhunis who will encounter a problem. This first
group of bhikkhunis may not doubt the validity of their ordination because their
determination is so strong, but later generations of bhikkhunis may doubt
themselves and not be at peace.
We need to show loving-kindness towards those future ordination candidates. We
need to consider the well-being of women who come to be ordained in the long
term. One shouldn’t simply think: ‘I have been successfully ordained. I follow my
own convictions and ideas on this matter, which I have been able to bring to
completion.’ But in the end the people who incur the consequences are other
people.
If those women who come forward to be ordained do not clearly see the
legitimacy of their ordination and harbour unresolved doubts, they will face a
danger and have issues to resolve. How will they be able to speak with confidence?
Therefore, clarity and precision are of utmost importance. If one truly cares for
their well-being, one will act openly and clearly. These women will then not have to
struggle with confusion and anxiety.
To use an analogy, it is as if someone were to say: ‘I would like to apply for a
position to work in the Siam Air Conditioning Company.’ This company, however,
went out of business thirty-eight years ago. That person then complains and asks
why he is not allowed to work for this company.
One can reply to that person by saying that if he has the proper credentials, he
can apply for a position, but at this time no such company exists. To fulfil this
desire one must first reestablish a company with this name. If this is accomplished
the person can apply for a position. The problem does not lie with the person—no
one is blocking this person. The problem lies with the fact that this company
doesn’t presently exist; it has not yet been reestablished.

Another example is that of a pupil or the parents of a pupil who say that they like
the seventh grade of elementary school. ‘We want our child to study in 7th grade.
Why can’t our child study in 7th grade? Why is he not given the right to study in 7th
grade?’
One can answer: ‘Your child has the right to study in 7th grade if he fulfils the
criteria, but the 7th grade of elementary school has been done away with for about
thirty years.’
‘So what can we do so that our child can study in 7th grade?’ The answer is: ‘You
can encourage the government to reestablish the 7th grade of elementary school.
The problem does not rest with your child—no one is keeping your child out. The
problem is that the 7th grade has been dissolved; there is thus no 7th grade for your
child to enrol in.

Whether the Siam Air Conditioning Company or the 7th grade of elementary
school will be restored is dependent on various conditions, some of them similar,
some not. For example: money and capital, government policy, the needs and
desires of the public, the suitability according to the present time, etc.
For the restoration of the bhikkhuni sangha, however, a crucial stipulation
besides the wishes of women and of society is the Buddha’s regulation in regard to
the ordination of bhikkhunis. The specific regulation here is that the bhikkhuni
sangha is entrusted with the authority to perform the first stage of bhikkhuni
ordinations. In the case that the bhikkhuni sangha no longer exists, who has the
power to take this authority away
:reading: :reading: Personally, based on my desires, I wish to see a legitimate Bhikkhuni Theravadan Order being reestablished, but after reading this book and scanning the web and the Vinaya-Discussion abroad on that subject I can't see one yet. This makes me sad and I want to make clear that I was hoping to find a more optimistic and pro-bhikkhuni-ordination picture. I'm sympathetic of Ajahn Brahm and think of him as a wonderful teacher, but I fear that through this (group?) ordination more confusion and future suffering has been created. But who am I... I wish that one day a unanimous decision within the Theravadan Sangha as a whole can be found, a true and acceptable way for all. But I fear there won't be such a thing. :console:

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Those analogies are faulty and moot. The bhikkhuni line has already been re-established. The bhikkhunis speak and teach with clarity and confidence and are doing well.

It is not compassionate (karuna) or loving-kindness (metta) to deny women access to the holy life (in my opinion).

As it states in your signature line:
Let none find fault with others; let none see the omissions and commissions of others.
But let one see one's own acts, done and undone.
(Dhammapada, 50)
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

As you might have noticed by my previous postings within this thread I have not made an appearance as an "anti bhikkuni" practicioner or sexist buddhist. And just by quoting someone not necesarrily expresses that he or she is absolutely down with the quotes in itself. As I've written I am unhappy what I have found within this book but still I have to not just follow my desires on this topic. I have no doubt that these Nuns are speaking, acting and teaching wise and wonderful dhamma (have not experienced yet, but still), but that is not the issue at hand. It appears that this ordinations in itself have caused quite some trouble and were conducted unanimous. Yes you are right, it has been established and future will show what will come out of this. One could argue that it doesn't matter that every theravadan buddhist or monk on this planet earth is accepting these ordinations, and he or she would be perfectly right. That doesn't matter. But what does matter in my opinion is that one could find some objections within the vinaya that ven. Phra Payutto has laid down in this book. It is an interesting read and still if you don't agree it is a worthwhile read and shows that he doesn't seem to be lacking karuna with these nuns but moreso is worrying about there present and future acceptance and what this could mean for their own wellbeing and confidence as bhikkunis.

:anjali:

reflection

Post by reflection »

Well, if one was really worried about acceptance, then I for one don't think one should write or support a book saying their ordination may not be valid. That's just doing the opposite. Also, it clearly is not just concern for the future, because to me it is actually questioning the validity of the nuns who performed the ordination as well - and thus their lineage all the way back. So it is getting stuck in the past. Let's move on.

If we really want to be compassionate and accepting, I'd say it's better to let this topic go already. It's been four years, the ordinations won't be reversed, and as far as I know, the bhukkhunis are doing just fine. Hope to visit them one day, get some inspiration from them and pay my respect. :anjali:

Just perhaps we could conclude this topic with this lovely video. I would hope so.

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

reflection wrote:Well, if one was really worried about acceptance, then I for one don't think one should write or support a book saying their ordination may not be valid.
I think a real acceptance won't be accomplished by just merely pretending that everything happened just fine and in absolute accordance with the vinaya and ignore objections. Still we are all within the same dhamma family. I don't feel the urge to chose a side. It seems wise to me to gain knowledge on the jurisdictions related with the ordinations, and therefore I encourage everyone to surpass the simple and coarse separation of practicioners into pros and cons. Somehow it appears like some weired dhamma war, as I sense there is a lot of heat here. And I don't believe that it is right action to yield Dhammapada Verses around like clubs - they come back to oneself.

I've posted something within this thread after the ven. Ajahn Gavesako enouraged us to have a look at this book and the contained interviews. It appears to me that you have not really made it through all the 120 pages. Definetely contemplating my first posting here I realised that the quotations have not been chosen very wisely by myself and especially the last one is an invitation to arguments and resistance. Therefore just read it. It won't magically change your views but might broaden the picture.

If I'd had the chance to meet these determined, motivated and wise Nuns I'd definetely pay them the same respect as I pay every other monastic. I don't have anything against them, their practice or whatsoever.

I accept this situation here as an opportunity and invitation to practice restraint with regards to this topic, especially within this thread. Creating and receiving heat is really nothing that should happen on the dhammawheel. Everyone sees for oneself. :namaste:

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

What has emerged for me in the above discussion (and elsewhere) is that many people treasure the Vinaya and respect it, adhere to it and expect adherence, to a large extent for the sake of Vinaya. Whereas for others, Vinaya has a purpose, ie to support a holy life and this is as far as their respect for Vinaya goes. Perhaps this fundamental difference in approach is worth exploring?
_/|\_
reflection

Post by reflection »

I am no Vinaya expert, to say that first. But reading through the book (which I admit I haven't read fully, but also not just the isolated quotes), the main questions raised in the book seems whether bhikkhus can ordain bhikkhunis. That means, to ordain them without bhikkhunis. However, in the case of this topic that is totally irrelevant because this is not how it happened. The ordinations were performed by bhikkhunis, so vinaya-wise there is no wrong-doing, on that subject at least. And unless I missed something, nobody at the ordination was formally accused of breaking the vinaya. So if there were real solid objections, were are they? (As I said I'm no expert, but I trust those who did the ordination and those who had the possibility of making an objection afterward)

So then the question becomes: do we see these nuns that did the ordinations as representative of the original sangha? Apparently some people don't think so - or at least look at their order in such a way that they can't ordain "Theravadan" nuns. Whatever Theravadan would mean exactly.

I'm not trying to create friction anywhere, but I'm just wondering what is acceptance and how do we best practice it with respect to this topic. In my eyes the best acceptance is to see the ordaining and ordained nuns as following the vinaya and as representatives of the original sangha. However anybody else thinks it's best to practice is their business, but having doubts about the certainty of future bhikkhunis is a strange reason not to ordain them or not accept their ordination. It has very little to do with actual concern for women's benefits. It's a bit like being afraid food makes you sick in the future, so you decide not to eat at all. You avoid a potential problem (however unlikely), but at the cost of what? Is this healthy? Is this acceptance and loving kindness?

I will also leave it at this unless somebody has a specific question or correction. :anjali:
Last edited by reflection on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

This was linked somewhere else as I recall, perhaps this very thread, but I wasn't able to easily find it again yet it's quite related - so here it is again:

The Legality of Bhikkhunī Ordination, by Bhikkhu Anālayo.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Zom

Post by Zom »

This conlcusion of Ven. Analayo:
The combination of higher ordinations adopted for the 1998 Bodhgayā procedure is
legally correct. The order of bhikkhunīs has been revived. It stands on firm legal foundations and has a right to claim
recognition as a Theravāda order of bhikkhunīs
is explained as incorrect by Ven. Payutto, because the permission for bhikkhus to ordain Pajapati female followers is an "old version" rule, needed temporary at that moment just to create a bhukkhuni sangha. Later on new rule was established, that is the need of both Sanghas to perform ordination, and since then previous permission was no longer valid. It's as if bhukkhu Sangha would disappear except one bhikkhu. He would say to people "Ehi Bhikkhu" to ordian them (like Buddha did before that complicated ordination rule was established) - but would that be a valid ordination? I dont think so -)
robertk

Post by robertk »

yes Zom,it is obvious. That article by Anayalo is extraordinary in its illogic IMHO.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:yes Zom,it is obvious. That article by Anayalo is extraordinary in its illogic IMHO.
One thing to say so, another to show it to be so.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
faraway

Post by faraway »

Hi,

Anyone can show me vinaya or sutta that said about rule of bhikkhuni must be ordained by bhikkhuni sangha and bhikkhu sangha.
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

The way I see it the whole purpose of the development of Vinaya in the past was to protect and advance the teachings of the Buddha. If the 'rules' are getting in the way of that purpose then they must be changed.
“To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
― Søren Kierkegaard