Ordination, lay practitioners extended stay in Thailand

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
gerard

Ordination, lay practitioners extended stay in Thailand

Post by gerard » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some advice please. What are my options for an extended stay in a Thai monastery, I have read of some people who wre able to stay in certain monasteries for over a year and others have become instructors of Vipassana meditation to foreigners. What are the requirements for this?

Also when it comes to visas, how is it done? I mean what type of visa is it required for such instances and is an departure from Thailand necessary or can it be processed in the country.

If I were to ordain, what are the requirements? One thing that bugs me though is too many rules, chanting, reading scriptures and such...I started this journey in 2003 and attained a certain level in the stages of enlightenment. I believe in "you reap what you sow" rather than following Rules, which are meant for those who can easily break them or have temptations, I don't have any problems with that since I don't need to break any rules, they are natural by-products of dedicated practice. :)

I believe in wandering, meditating alone preferably in a remote area (hermitage would suit me perfectly). Maybe I got 2-3 years left before the end of the journey, who knows, time will tell. After that, who knows as well, <i>here now</i> is what really counts...but again I need to make plans because living in a mundane with no financial support has already become a huge challenge.

Anyway the real world doesn't always operate this way so I probably have to go through the bottom of the pecking order, if anything.

Any recommendations of monasteries in Thailand (preferably north or central) that are welcoming to a seasoned practitioner.

Thanks in advance :)

samseva

Re: Ordination, lay practitioners extended stay in Thailand

Post by samseva » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:15 am

Read various threads in the "Ordination and Monastic Life" section of the forum. You'll find many answers to your questions there.
gerard wrote:One thing that bugs me though is too many rules, chanting, reading scriptures and such…
Well, that's pretty much a huge part of it. You also forgot lots of manual work.
gerard wrote:Anyway the real world doesn't always operate this way so I probably have to go through the bottom of the pecking order, if anything.
It's not so much as a pecking order, but as not what you want or think living as a monk actually is.

Goofaholix

Re: Ordination, lay practitioners extended stay in Thailand

Post by Goofaholix » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:41 pm

It doesn't sound to me like the monk's life is for you.

Travelling from monastery to monastery to retreat centre etc would probably be the way to go.

Normally for Thailand you'll get a 1 month visa on arrival, you might be able to get 2 or 3 months by applying before, you can then cross the border each time you need to renew your visa. If you were to do retreats in Burma, Malaysia, or Sri Lanka as well this might fit in with your renewals.
Check out http://www.thaivisa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info on visas.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah