Ordination as a Theravada monk in india

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Srinivas

Ordination as a Theravada monk in india

Post by Srinivas »

I am Srinivas . I am practicing meditation for 4 years and buddhism for about 2 years. I am very determined to become a theravada monk. I would like to know if there any good monasteries in india that follow theravada .I am also open to join any monastery in thailand or srilanka.
cooran

Re: Ordination as a Theravada monk in india

Post by cooran »

Hello Srinivas,

This website might be a start. The information includes Theravada and other traditions.

How can someone become a Buddhist monk in India
http://www.quora.com/How-can-someone-be ... k-in-India" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,

Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
samseva

Post by samseva »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

That's great that you are looking into ordination in India. I don't think I'll ordain but if I did, I would also want to do it in India, most likely Bodh Gaya. A friend of mine, Ven. Dhammika ordained in Bodh Gaya. Perhaps check with the monastery you would like to ordain to in Thailand or Sri Lanka and they might have some suggestions or might even fly out to India to ordain you.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I've heard good reports about Mahabodhi Bangalore, the organisation founded by the late scholar Ven Buddharakkita.
http://www.mahabodhi.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Srinivas

Post by Srinivas »

Thanks for your reply everyone , but is there any monastery with theravada forest tradition in india.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Srinivas wrote:Thanks for your reply everyone , but is there any monastery with theravada forest tradition in india.
Not to my knowledge. By the way, what forest tradition are you talking about? Thai Forest Tradition? Or Sri Lankan Forest Tradition? Thai Forest Tradition is more well known.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Srinivas

Post by Srinivas »

Bakmoon wrote:
Srinivas wrote:Thanks for your reply everyone , but is there any monastery with theravada forest tradition in india.
Not to my knowledge. By the way, what forest tradition are you talking about? Thai Forest Tradition? Or Sri Lankan Forest Tradition? Thai Forest Tradition is more well known.
Thai forest tradition is my first preference. I want to become a monk as soon as possible but my parents want me study for some time before ordaining.The problem is i dont have enough money to visit thailand and stay there and that is the reason i have to study and earn for a while. If there is any good theravada monastery in india, i can visit and be ordained because i live in inida and i dont have to wait any more.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

India is a big country and you didn't say which part you are in but have you considered Sri Lanka? It has a number of reputable forest monasteries and the culture and food may be more familiar.
Swapnilbarmase

Post by Swapnilbarmase »

Dear Srinivas,
First of all, congratulations on your decision, the first and perhaps the most difficult step towards Nibbana.

My team and I are working on bringing the Thai Forest Tradition of Arhant Ajahn Mun and Ajahn Maha Boowa to India. Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo, a direct disciple of Ajahn Mun, will be our preceptor and guide.
The first step of the project is we need to go to Thailand and stay with Ajahn Martin in order to know the forest tradition, experience how it is, and learn about the tradition. The Upasakas will come back and work on the building, while those who wish to ordain must stay with Ajahn and practice under his guidance (work on the mind) till we have the basic residential facilities available (such as buying and registering land, getting electricity, water, road, kutis, and of course etc. and collecting funds for all this, which will take some time). We are about 5 guys who will be ordaining and a team of about 20 Upasakas (we all are educated, have jobs, some of us are IITans or have PhD's from abroad, so we are serious people and it's a serious project). If you are not ordained already and if wish to join, PM me here (https://www.facebook.com/swapnil.barmase). About finances for traveling to Thailand, if you can manage then best otherwise our trust can manage something.

Mangal metta!

P.S. The monastery will be built in Nagpur (near the Tiger forest reserves near Parshivni area; The reason for selecting Nagpur is 1) it is the center of Theravada Buddhist population in India, 2) Deeksha Bhoomi where Dr. Ambedkar converted half a million people to Buddhism is also here, 3) it is the center of India geographically and hence easy to reach from any corner of the country, 4) lastly, historically Nagpur has been the center of Buddhism, with a number of great Arhants such as Nagarjuna having lived and taught here, recent excavations by Archeological survey of India have unearthed a number of sites with relics of great Arahants) and our site is very close to that site in Parshivni area.
Chula

Post by Chula »

Swapnilbarmase wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo, a direct disciple of Ajahn Mun, will be our preceptor and guide.
I guess you meant to say direct disciple of Ajahn Maha Boowa.
surajjd22

Post by surajjd22 »

Is there time line, when it will be completed,

I am significantly new in vipassana as I am doing it since last 6 months seriously ,and looking forward to spend some time in sangha,
As Theravada Buddhism supports temporary monastic life for "Sansarik Person", I could be wrong, but if there is any way to be the monk for a month,It will really help not to achieve nirvana in every case but to live satisfied life at list.

If there Is any help I can do Please let me know...If it possible I will defiantly do it for such noble cause

Mobile No. 08055050900
surajjd22

Post by surajjd22 »

Swapnilbarmase wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm Dear Srinivas,
First of all, congratulations on your decision, the first and perhaps the most difficult step towards Nibbana.

My team and I are working on bringing the Thai Forest Tradition of Arhant Ajahn Mun and Ajahn Maha Boowa to India. Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo, a direct disciple of Ajahn Mun, will be our preceptor and guide.
The first step of the project is we need to go to Thailand and stay with Ajahn Martin in order to know the forest tradition, experience how it is, and learn about the tradition. The Upasakas will come back and work on the building, while those who wish to ordain must stay with Ajahn and practice under his guidance (work on the mind) till we have the basic residential facilities available (such as buying and registering land, getting electricity, water, road, kutis, and of course etc. and collecting funds for all this, which will take some time). We are about 5 guys who will be ordaining and a team of about 20 Upasakas (we all are educated, have jobs, some of us are IITans or have PhD's from abroad, so we are serious people and it's a serious project). If you are not ordained already and if wish to join, PM me here (https://www.facebook.com/swapnil.barmase). About finances for traveling to Thailand, if you can manage then best otherwise our trust can manage something.

Mangal metta!

P.S. The monastery will be built in Nagpur (near the Tiger forest reserves near Parshivni area; The reason for selecting Nagpur is 1) it is the center of Theravada Buddhist population in India, 2) Deeksha Bhoomi where Dr. Ambedkar converted half a million people to Buddhism is also here, 3) it is the center of India geographically and hence easy to reach from any corner of the country, 4) lastly, historically Nagpur has been the center of Buddhism, with a number of great Arhants such as Nagarjuna having lived and taught here, recent excavations by Archeological survey of India have unearthed a number of sites with relics of great Arahants) and our site is very close to that site in Parshivni area.
Is there any time line when it will be completed,

I am significantly new in vipassana as I am doing it since last 6 months seriously ,and looking forward to spend some time in sangha,
As Theravada Buddhism supports temporary monastic life for "Sansarik Person", I could be wrong but if there is any option to be a monk for month,It will really help them not to achieve nirvana in very case but to live satisfied life
Swapnilbarmase

Post by Swapnilbarmase »

Swapnilbarmase wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm Dear Srinivas,

If you are not ordained already and if wish to join, PM me here (https://www.facebook.com/swapnil.barmase).
As I will be ordained soon, I will not be able to answer the quesries on FB anymore. You may kindly contact the monastery office of Wat Phu Khong Thong for any quesries about arrival, stay, ordination, etc. Please find the enclosed link
http://www.forestdhammatalks.org/en/contact.php

Much Metta!
Swapnilbarmase

Post by Swapnilbarmase »

Chula wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 am
Swapnilbarmase wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo, a direct disciple of Ajahn Mun, will be our preceptor and guide.
I guess you meant to say direct disciple of Ajahn Maha Boowa.
Yes, I meant that.