renamed::: help finding monastery???

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

renamed::: help finding monastery???

Post by 333 »

Greetings and Metta

I am in the process of getting a passport with the inclination to travel to Sri Lanka(or thailand) from the U.S with the intention of ordination. (This post has been renamed and edited)

Na uyana was first choice but I have heard horrible things now of the place and I would like to weigh some options. Can you recommend any forest monasteries, or simply quiet monasteries, in Thailand or any other country not in the west, that an English speaking foreigner has an opportunity to ordain? I am interested in a monastery that is preferably:
Large, forest monastery. Or, a simply quiet monastery of any size. I would like time for individual practice, I am interested in studying the texts, learning vinaya, and meditation. Preferably not a very strict 14hour meditation a day. However moderate strict is OK , I am not looking for an easy ride. I would love to have a virtuous abbot and companions.

This is my ideal monastery and I am not expecting every wish to be fulfilled, it is more of a guideline as to what I am interested in. I plan to stay in robes for at least 20 years so I am not looking for the temporary experience. Thank you all so much :heart:

p.s here is a fun emoji :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Last edited by 333 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
This Is The Teaching Of All The Buddhas!
-Dhammapada 183
samseva

Re: Ordination in Na Uyana Forest Monastery

Post by samseva »

There is a lot of very useful information in this pamphlet (such as diseases, insects, diet).
http://nauyana.org/files/Na_Uyana_Monas ... mation.pdf

Regarding ordination, it says on the last page:
APPROXIMATE TIMELINE TO BHIKKHU ORDINATION
1-4 months: Upāsaka (8 Precepts)
6-12 months: Pabajjā (going forth) and abiding as a Sāmaṇera (Novice monk) (10 Precepts and 75 Sekhiya rules)
January – March: Vinaya Classes
April: Vinaya Exam
June: Upasampadā (higher ordination) at Galduwa Monastery

Post by 333 »

you know, I have that downloaded and completely forgot. thank you very much, nonetheless! somewhere along the way I got the impression that at Na Uyana there was no Anagarika/ Upasaka and took kindly to the thought of immediate novice training. However, it will be a valuable experience to humble myself and experience the low end of the totem pole. Can you, or anyone, tell me: coming into the presence of a monk, am I required to fully prostrate on the ground or may I perform the ''wai'' of the thais? (bringing hands into prayer position and bowing standing up)
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
-Dhammapada 183
samseva

Post by samseva »

Have you considered ordaining in Thailand? There are many more forest monasteries and it is much more accessible. Also, if you plan to remain in robes for many years, rather than for a short period, you need to take into consideration many factors; such as learning the language, being prepared to stay at a handful of forest monasteries (if in Sri Lanka), diet, dangerous insects/snakes, diseases, solitude, teachers, climate, if and where you want to study, etc.

Post by 333 »

your advice on subjects to take into consideration is very appreciated
*I deleted the majority of this post because it was unnecessary and unskillful*
Last edited by 333 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
-Dhammapada 183
samseva

Post by samseva »

333 wrote:your advice on subjects to take into consideration is very appreciated
The most important would be to learn the language. Doing so before going will likely increase your chances of remaining in robes for a longer period of time.
333 wrote:I also only plan to dedicate myself to the monastery for as long as it takes to fully ordain. After that, I may or may not stay longer depending on how I enjoy the place - I plan to eventually practice Tudong, the traveling monk practice.
There is also Bhāvanā Society in West Virginia, USA. The abbot is Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, the author of Mindfulness In Plain English. If you want more detailed information, member Jayantha-NJ is currently an anāgārika there. Also, in Thailand there are different forest monasteries other than the Ajahn Chah branch.

http://www.bhavanasociety.org/

Post by 333 »

Well I am OK with na uyana in sri Lanka, but since you mention Thailand twice, is there benefits to Thailand over sri Lanka? I know it gets very hot in Thailand :embarassed: thanks!
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
-Dhammapada 183
Zom

Post by Zom »

I've heard bad reports about NaUyana, and I know that three russian monks fled from there.

Post by 333 »

What kind of reports, and why would they have fled? Thanks
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
-Dhammapada 183
samseva

Post by samseva »

333 wrote:What kind of reports, and why would they have fled? Thanks
This thread might be of some use. I would take it with a grain of salt though. I am not saying the claims are false, only that it is a rather heated thread.
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=2698&start=240
tattoogunman

Post by tattoogunman »

There is some nasty stuff going on in Thailand too - look at the ongoing conflict between Buddhists and the minority Muslim population as an example. Just things to think about ;)
samseva

Post by samseva »

333 wrote:Well I am OK with na uyana in sri Lanka, but since you mention Thailand twice, is there benefits to Thailand over sri Lanka? I know it gets very hot in Thailand :embarassed: thanks!
I don't know much about the climate in Sri Lanka, but I am guessing that it is somewhat similar to Thailand. In comparison, Thailand is stretched over a much larger portion of land. Although, it does get very hot in places such as Bangkok, in the more northern parts of the country, it is cooler.

In my opinion, there are many benefits to ordaining in Thailand. Among others, I find it to be more accessible/welcoming, Thailand really looks like a great place to live, the people are very friendly, there is a lot of lay support, there are many thousands of monasteries (over 30 000), there is a lot more language material to study Thai compared to Sinhala, I very much resonate with the Thai forest tradition, etc.

There are some downsides as well. Merit-making being the most prominent.

But don't let everyone's opinions counter your own. Do you own research so you can base your understanding of the two countries on more concrete information.

Post by 333 »

Well, according to that thread na uyana is home to a corrupted abbot and unskillful scandals. It may be off the table for me now. I am looking for a harmonious sangha, preferably forest but a monastery that is small is OK as long as it is harmonious (not a lot of city noise etc). I would like to practice meditation, study the suttas, learn the vinaya. Basicly be involved in serious practice and cultivate virtue. However I am not interested in jumping into a 14 hour day of meditation either. Does anyone know of such a place conducive to this type of training? In Thailand or sri Lanka, or anywhere else. Except the west; I would like to leave this area. I only speak English as well. Thanks for any replies :twothumbsup:
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
-Dhammapada 183
Zom

Post by Zom »

Except the west; I would like to leave this area.
But why?

Post by 333 »

Johnny law is after me :rofl: :jumping: no, amongst many reasons westerners feel drawn to the east, I'd like to be closer to the source. Western Buddhism is developing
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
-Dhammapada 183