How did Buddha live under a tree?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

How did Buddha live under a tree?

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:41 am

Do monks suffer from insomnia?

I always wondered how monks in Buddha's time lived under trees.
I know there are lot of beggars in the streets live without protection.
Are any monks live under trees in modern days?
What is the life like living under a tree or in the street corner?
Why did Buddha chose to live under a tree?
================

But cold, lord, is the winter night. The 'Between-the-Eights'[1] is a time of snowfall. Hard is the ground trampled by cattle hooves. Thin is the spread of leaves. Sparse are the leaves in the trees. Thin are your ochre robes. And cold blows the Verambha wind. Yet still the Blessed One says, 'Yes, young man. I have slept in ease. Of those in the world who sleep in ease, I am one.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... html#fnt-1

PS: Changed the question from "Do monks suffer from insomnia?"
Last edited by SarathW on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

gavesako

Re: Do monks suffer from insomnia?

Post by gavesako » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:03 am

Yes sometimes monks do camp out under an umbrella and mosquito net and it can be cold in the winter even in Asia. So one does not get a lot of sleep, sometimes shivering under the robes with no blanket.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 am

Thank you Bhante.
Just imagine try to live under a tree without even an umbrella and a mosquito net!
By the way what is the purpose of doing it?
:thinking:

appicchato

Post by appicchato » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 am

Insomnia has nothing to do with where this thread is going...and an uneducated answer to your question is: some do, most don't... :zzz:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am

Thank you Bhante.
I have few questions about monks living under trees.
So I wish to raise questions as I go.
So why monks trying to live under a umbrella with mosquito nets?
:)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am

This topic is likely to branch off in many directions, but I will offer an explanation.

The root of a tree is the basic requirement for a monk's accommodation. If householders provide a hut, or a monastery, or an air-conditioned, multi-storeyed mansion the monks can stay there.

However, seeing the danger in competing for accommodation, some monks avoid comfortable monasteries, and live in broken down sheds that no one uses, in caves, or under trees.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 am

Thank you Bhante
The link you provided does not got the right place?
:)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 am

The link works fine for me.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks
I didn't know that monks were fighting in Buddha's time as well!
:jedi: :guns:

jagodage

Post by jagodage » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:20 am

Why monks are suppose to choose trees?

Maha sathipattana sutra say ''Rukka mula gathwa,Sunnagara gathowa or Arrannagathowa"'
I think that for meditation one need calm environment.And this is sort of balancing of energy levels of body and environment.

With Metta

:anjali:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:25 am

Do you know any Sri Lankan monk living under a tree?
:thinking:

SarathW

Re: How did Buddha live under a tree?

Post by SarathW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 am

It seems living under a tree is child play, after seen the following video.
Tibetan monk trave 3000 km for three years, to go to Buddhagaya, all the way bowing down ever few steps!
Great video giving some insight in Tibetan Buddhism.
Destroying the Mandala seen, gave a very insightful thoughts.
:popcorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjSi9ELD9I

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Inspiration story about the Jason Chan the Australian wondering monk.
This is a story about a monk who is trying to live very closely the way olden day monks used to lived.
- Limited robes
- Not handling money
- Not consuming food after noon.
- Not staying in one place for longer duration (wondering)
-Sleeping on the floor.
"At night he slept on bare earth, with only a woollen blanket for warmth. He didn’t even have a sleeping matt. “If you sleep against hard things the body gets soft and flexible,” he said. “If you sleep against soft things, the body gets hard and rigid.”

http://simplelives.com.au/jason-chan-the-walking-monk/

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22188

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:05 am

A bhikkhu can ask for shelter from his relatives or from laypeople who have formally invited him to ask for the four requisites. From any other householder he is permitted to ask for building materials to build a lodging for himself. For further remarks on the last point, see Ajahn Thanissaro’s explanation of the sixth saṅghādisesa rule.

Unmentioned in Thanissaro’s account is that some bhikkhus think the permission to ask for building materials can be extended to include asking a householder for a room for the night. Other bhikkhus think it can’t. In the Theravada countries of Asia it’s pretty much a non-issue because no matter which direction a bhikkhu goes walking in, or how far he walks, when it gets to nightfall there’s sure to be a monastery nearby where he can put up for the night.

When travelling around in the West my own policy would differ from one country to another. In continental Europe and central Asia I never asked for a room from householders, but just slept in ditches, barns, derelict buildings, etc. In Britain there’s a good network of lay Buddhists who are willing to put up monks for the night, so travelling there is easy provided you plan your trip well and notify everyone in advance. Easiest of all is Iceland, where there’s an old tradition that one should never refuse a traveller a bed for the night (dating from the old days when this would be a matter of life or death in wintertime), so there I didn’t hesitate to ask. Travelling around the island I slept in churches, priests’ homes, sheep farms, eider duck farms, a whaling station, a herring fishing station, shepherds’ huts, and once at Stykkishólmur harbour I shared a plastic fish skip with a pair of drunken tramps. Everyone I ran into seemed very happy to help me.

In fact during ten years as a monk in Europe only one place ever turned me away at the door: a Tibetan Buddhist monastery just outside Liège. I was hitch-hiking from London to Vienna to visit my old teacher, and had been picked up in Brussels and driven to the Tibetan monastery by a Transcendental Meditation teacher. But the monks said that they were holding a Tantric retreat and that the presence of a Hinayana monk would bring bad vibrations, or something like that. Apparently Hinayana vibrations are so bad that I couldn’t even be suffered to sleep under a tree in the monastery garden.

So, I left the Belgian bodhisattvas to enjoy their unadulterated vibrations, walked into Liège and sat down on a park bench. There I was approached by a friendly homosexual Thai waiter. He said that he and his Belgian boyfriend would be working all night in the Thai restaurant that his boyfriend owned, so I was welcome to sleep in their apartment. He then wrote down his address and gave me the key. While at work that night he had a whip-round among the Thai restaurant staff and the next morning he and his boyfriend presented me with a lovely breakfast and a train ticket to Vienna.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 77#p325048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gillbate

Post by gillbate » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:01 am

1) Body of ancient monks might stronger than the current one with polluted environment. So, they can resist cold better than us.
2) They need quiet places to meditate and the tree may protect them form sunshine and rain. Some herb will make their body cold which mosquito can not detect. There is nothing to worry or attract like house, furniture or treasure, they can go anywhere and anytime they please.
3) Why didn't they live in the city? The lifestyle of layman may harm their goal for nirvana and homeless life. But for reason to teach dhamma, they have to build temple to be the center of information. As you know, there are not a complete tipitaka before buddha time.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:47 pm

There is another topic with more information about this subject.
http://dhammawheel.com/posting.php?mode ... 42&t=25687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:17 am

Tudong in the United States.

http://www.abhayagiri.org/audio/upasika ... ted-states" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:28 am

The Arahat is reputed for his constant mindfulness and the commentaries say that he is mindful even when he is asleep!

http://static.sirimangalo.org//mahasi/A ... 0Sutta.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:32 am

The Buddha and many monks choose to live under a tree (at least for a short period of time) because it is a simple, natural shelter that does not cause harm. In fact, trees support biodiversity. Just imagine how many living creatures are killed in building an entire residential area. There are also many trees and therefore there is always shelter. That is one less thing that a monk has to worry about. Instead, the monk can focus on purifying the mind.
May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts.

http://txti.es/theravada