Informations about Ajahn Kevali

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Alīno

Re: Informations about Ajahn Kevali

Post by Alīno »

I think Buddha could add this rule about zero internet in Patimokkha if he lived this century, but he cant live this century because there is no conditions for such event...

One question about family, can one bhikkhu make a hug to his mother?
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

Nwad wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 am One question about family, can one bhikkhu make a hug to his mother?
According to vinaya:
Thanissaro Bhikkhu, in his 'Buddhist Monastic Code' states that "The Vinita-vatthu contains cases of a bhikkhu who caresses his mother out of filial affection, one who caresses his daughter out of fatherly affection, and one who caresses his sister out of brotherly affection. In each case the penalty is a dukkaṭa."
In this topic the matter is discussed in more details. viewtopic.php?t=7955
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Thank you Dear EmptyShadow ! :anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

There were earlier remarks that Ajahn Kevali was reluctant to ordain new monks but it seems he was only recently authorised to do so.

"Having passed the examinations required by the Mahatherasamakom, on Sunday 28th January 2018, Ajahn Kevali, abbot of Wat Nanachat, was appointed as a Preceptor (Upajjahaya) with full authority to perform bhikkhu ordinations within Thailand."

https://forestsangha.org/community/news ... -upajjhaya
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

cooran wrote: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 pm According to Ajahn Sujato, Ajahn Kevali is a stalwart of the Anti-bhikkhuni Movement:

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/ ... -nanachat/

With metta,
Chris
This is going to come off a little harsh, but I don't really know how else to put it. I find sujato insufferablly arrogant. He seems politicised in almost everything he does. Almost like he and his friends are the first monks to actually "get" Buddhism. He does good scholarly work, and I've tried consuming most of it - I think it has real value, but it seems tainted with conceit to me. It's like everything he does, he does so he can take credit, because the existing model isn't quite good enough. And I happen to agree with him in most areas.

It just seems like he's only focused on the external wrappings of Buddhism, and has nothing to do with training the mind. Unless it's to prove how his translation or interpretation is the correct one.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Idappaccayata wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 am
This is going to come off a little harsh, but I don't really know how else to put it. I find sujato insufferablly arrogant.
It does seem like that... I've lived in the same monastery as him for 6 months or so and I know what you mean. But it seems like that because he's so much smarter than everyone else. He really is as intelligent as he sounds. He's so used to being right because he's pretty much always right, and is and has always been the smartest person in the room.
His mind is just astonishing. Unfortunately that actual superiority comes across as un-earned superiority.
thang

Post by thang »

Late Venerable Nyanavimala had taught that a monk who keep contacts with his
1. Old Family
2. Old Friends
3. Old Country
is still a Samanera. (though some suspects whether it is an extreme.)
http://ven-nyanavimala.buddhasasana.net
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."
AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

A maybe interesting quote from The Bhikkhus' Rules: A Guide for Laypeople by Bhikkhu Ariyesako:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... guide.html
"If a bhikkhu touches his mother out of affection, then this is still an offence but the lesser one of wrong-doing (dukka.ta). [46] While gratitude to parents was strongly emphasized by the Buddha, the bhikkhu having left the home-life and his family should not cling to worldly relationships. The only true way for him to fulfill his filial obligations is by gaining insight into Dhamma and then teaching his parents."
So meeting your parents (in the form of laypeople) should be still okay when they are visiting the monastery and their status as deserving special respect is a given, it seems to be advised that this happens in a detached way by the monk.

However, there is also the perspective from the parents who might want to see their son, gaining Sukha due to his searching of the Dhamma.

Being barred from seeing the parents at all for a very extended period of time? I find that highly implausible as monks, even in training stage, are interacting daily with the lay community at Wat Pah Nanachat. Additionally, the page outlining the joining process makes no indication of it:
http://www.watpahnanachat.org/joining/

However, this page also carries the following note, with a reasoning I find understandable. So if the parents are unwilling or unable to be physically present in Thailand, close contact in the sense we understand it nowadays would be difficult.
One last little note: although everybody who comes here is surely generally inspired by the idea of 'leaving it all behind', many visitors who come with the wish to ordain carry a variety of electronic gadgets with them (telephones, i-pads, tablets, cameras, laptops, etc). To maintain the spirit of a forest monastery of living in a simple, natural environment, we ask all our newcomers to give up such items. Please be aware that generally we have decided to not to use e-mail and internet in our monastery.
I am sure that Ajahn Kevali or one of his lay helpers (his contact is listed in another pst above) is happy to answer a direct question about parental contact, if this is the only hindrance to consider ordination -- which is only a step taken after a very long and drawn-out process at Wat Pah Nanachat anyway.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]