Informations about Ajahn Kevali

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Nwad

Re: Informations about Ajahn Kevali

Post by Nwad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 am

I think Buddha could add this rule about zero internet in Patimokkha if he lived this century, but he cant live this century because there is no conditions for such event...

One question about family, can one bhikkhu make a hug to his mother?

EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Nwad wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 am
One question about family, can one bhikkhu make a hug to his mother?
According to vinaya:
Thanissaro Bhikkhu, in his 'Buddhist Monastic Code' states that "The Vinita-vatthu contains cases of a bhikkhu who caresses his mother out of filial affection, one who caresses his daughter out of fatherly affection, and one who caresses his sister out of brotherly affection. In each case the penalty is a dukkaṭa."
In this topic the matter is discussed in more details. viewtopic.php?t=7955

Nwad

Post by Nwad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Thank you Dear EmptyShadow ! :anjali:

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 am

There were earlier remarks that Ajahn Kevali was reluctant to ordain new monks but it seems he was only recently authorised to do so.

"Having passed the examinations required by the Mahatherasamakom, on Sunday 28th January 2018, Ajahn Kevali, abbot of Wat Nanachat, was appointed as a Preceptor (Upajjahaya) with full authority to perform bhikkhu ordinations within Thailand."

https://forestsangha.org/community/news ... -upajjhaya

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 am

cooran wrote:
Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 pm
According to Ajahn Sujato, Ajahn Kevali is a stalwart of the Anti-bhikkhuni Movement:

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/ ... -nanachat/

With metta,
Chris
This is going to come off a little harsh, but I don't really know how else to put it. I find sujato insufferablly arrogant. He seems politicised in almost everything he does. Almost like he and his friends are the first monks to actually "get" Buddhism. He does good scholarly work, and I've tried consuming most of it - I think it has real value, but it seems tainted with conceit to me. It's like everything he does, he does so he can take credit, because the existing model isn't quite good enough. And I happen to agree with him in most areas.

It just seems like he's only focused on the external wrappings of Buddhism, and has nothing to do with training the mind. Unless it's to prove how his translation or interpretation is the correct one.
The furniture may be exquisite,
And the bars of solid gold,
But once the bird realizes that the cage is a cage,
It finds within that cage
No joy

- Ajahn Jayasaro

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am

Idappaccayata wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 am

This is going to come off a little harsh, but I don't really know how else to put it. I find sujato insufferablly arrogant.
It does seem like that... I've lived in the same monastery as him for 6 months or so and I know what you mean. But it seems like that because he's so much smarter than everyone else. He really is as intelligent as he sounds. He's so used to being right because he's pretty much always right, and is and has always been the smartest person in the room.
His mind is just astonishing. Unfortunately that actual superiority comes across as un-earned superiority.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11