Morning routine

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
zzzzzz

Morning routine

Post by zzzzzz »

What's the ideal morning routine of a monk right from the time he gets up?

NuanceOfSuchness

Re: Morning routine

Post by NuanceOfSuchness »

zzzzzz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
This monk here, he wakes, becomes aware that the mind has shifted from the sleeping state to the waking state, knows the position of the body in which ever place it is disposed, knows the movement of mind and feelings in correspondence to his environment, knows the sense organs and the forms that bring them to light, knows...

This is a Satipatthana approach albeit brief. It is my perspective. Others practice in different ways. One does not need to be like a robot. Learning to practice Satipatthana should be done with natural fluidity and incorporated into every single facet of your life whether you live in a monastery, a small village or a busy city. Done well, ardent and steadfast, it brings rapid results.

rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

NuanceOfSuchness wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:40 pm
zzzzzz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
This monk here, he wakes, becomes aware that the mind has shifted from the sleeping state to the waking state, knows the position of the body in which ever place it is disposed, knows the movement of mind and feelings in correspondence to his environment, knows the sense organs and the forms that bring them to light, knows...

This is a Satipatthana approach albeit brief. It is my perspective. Others practice in different ways. One does not need to be like a robot. Learning to practice Satipatthana should be done with natural fluidity and incorporated into every single facet of your life whether you live in a monastery, a small village or a busy city. Done well, ardent and steadfast, it brings rapid results.
:goodpost: :namaste:
Because sensual pleasures,
elegant, honeyed, & charming,
bewitch the mind with their manifold forms —
seeing this drawback in sensual strands —
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN 1.3
Don’t give up your own welfare
For the sake of others’ welfare, however great.
Clearly know your own welfare
And be intent on the highest good.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Here is my daily routine, when I was a monk.
viewtopic.php?t=23566

Many monks I know get up a lot earlier though. The monk I'm working with now gets up at 2.50am every day!

zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:01 am
Here is my daily routine, when I was a monk.
viewtopic.php?t=23566

Many monks I know get up a lot earlier though. The monk I'm working with now gets up at 2.50am every day!
Sir!
Do we have any authentic text which has instructions for the same??

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

zzzzzz wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:17 am
The stock description of "devotion to wakefulness" says:
"When, Aggivessana, the ariyan disciple is moderate in eating, the Tathāgata disciplines him further, saying: "Come you, monk, abide intent on vigilance; during the day while pacing up and down, while sitting down, cleanse the mind of obstructive mental states; during the middle watch of the night, lie down on the right side in the lion posture, foot resting on foot, mindful, clearly conscious, reflecting on the thought of getting up again; during the last watch of the night, when you have arisen, while pacing up and down, while sitting down, cleanse the mind of obstructive mental states."
- MN125
Then the Sammohavinodanī (Vibh-a. 345), states that the middle watch of the night (a bhikkhu’s sleeping time) amounts to one sixth of the day and night (rattindivassa chaṭṭhakoṭṭhāsasaṅkhāta) and so would presumably be four hours.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:24 am
zzzzzz wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:17 am
The stock description of "devotion to wakefulness" says:
"When, Aggivessana, the ariyan disciple is moderate in eating, the Tathāgata disciplines him further, saying: "Come you, monk, abide intent on vigilance; during the day while pacing up and down, while sitting down, cleanse the mind of obstructive mental states; during the middle watch of the night, lie down on the right side in the lion posture, foot resting on foot, mindful, clearly conscious, reflecting on the thought of getting up again; during the last watch of the night, when you have arisen, while pacing up and down, while sitting down, cleanse the mind of obstructive mental states."
- MN125
Then the Sammohavinodanī (Vibh-a. 345), states that the middle watch of the night (a bhikkhu’s sleeping time) amounts to one sixth of the day and night (rattindivassa chaṭṭhakoṭṭhāsasaṅkhāta) and so would presumably be four hours.
Sir,

Do we have any authentic text where the blessed one is giving instructions as to what should be the routine of a bikkhu right from the time he gets up??
Also, in the above text , what does last watch of the night mean???
What time is that?

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

zzzzzz wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:21 am
Do we have any authentic text where the blessed one is giving instructions as to what should be the routine of a bikkhu right from the time he gets up??
Re-read my last post. The passage states how a bhikkhu devoted to wakefulness will spend his day.

If you want it in more detail, see the account of "clear comprehension" (esp. pp 97-105) in Bhikkhu Bodhi's Discourse on the Fruits of Recluseship.
zzzzzz wrote:
What time is that?
I don't know, but I suspect that the first and last watches, unlike the 4-hour middle watch, would increase and decrease in length according to the hours of daylight in each season. So in India this would mean they would vary from three and a half to four and a half hours. See this old thread on Discourse Central:

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/th ... night/6944
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”

zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:47 am
zzzzzz wrote:
Re-read my last post. The passage states how a bhikkhu devoted to wakefulness will spend his day.

If you want it in more detail, see the account of "clear comprehension" (esp. pp 97-105) in Bhikkhu Bodhi's Discourse on the Fruits of Recluseship.
zzzzzz wrote:
What time is that?
I don't know, but I suspect that the first and last watches, unlike the 4-hour middle watch, would increase and decrease in length according to the hours of daylight in each season. So in India this would mean they would vary from three and a half to four and a half hours. See this old thread on Discourse Central:

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/th ... night/6944
Sir,

I wanna know the actual morning routine that should be of a bikkhu....
The texts you suggested dont have routine..they talk about how one should perform their tasks

Please assist.

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

zzzzzz wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 am
I wanna know the actual morning routine that should be of a bikkhu....
The texts you suggested dont have routine..they talk about how one should perform their tasks
Sure. And from these descriptions you can infer what sort of tasks monks were expected to perform in a typical day.

But if you're looking for a Sutta or a Vinaya text that prescribes a daily routine like, say, the one used on a Goenka meditation course, then you won't find any such thing. In practice each monastery establishes its own in-house regulations about what things are to be done at what time. These regulations will vary greatly according to what kind of monastery it is.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Here's the Wat Pah Nanachat daily schedule. Pretty normal from monasteries I've visited.

03:00 am Morning wake-up bell

03:30 Morning meeting: chanting and meditation

Dawn Monks go on alms-round. Lay guests sweep the monastery or help in the kitchen.

08:00 The meal

09:30 Short daily Dhamma teaching ("Ovada")

15:00 Chores period

16:30 Afternoon drink

18:15 Evening meeting: chanting and meditation

zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:11 am
Here's the Wat Pah Nanachat daily schedule. Pretty normal from monasteries I've visited.

Dawn Monks go on alms-round. Lay guests sweep the monastery or help in the kitchen.

Is that a forest monastery??
3:30 wake up bell.... really?
Alms round at what time?
And ...
When do they poop? Bathe?

zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

zzzzzz wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:12 pm
JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:11 am

Is that a forest monastery??
3:30 wake up bell.... really?
Alms round at what time?
And ...
When do they poop? Bathe?
And ... what's the afternoon drink?

eto

Post by eto »

Like mentioned above, it depends on the monastery. The last one I was at had no bells, no group sits, no chanting, nothing. Just alms round at 6am, eat 8am and practice on your own in seclusion the rest of the time.