What did the Buddha say about ordaining children?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Chanh Dao

What did the Buddha say about ordaining children?

Post by Chanh Dao »

I understand that in modern times children monks are simply called novices but what did the Buddha say on this matter? If anything?

I'm very interested to know as I've seen many many "novices" worked to the bone by senior monks and also I know the education they go through is also mainly Buddhism not emphasising much other vocational teachings.

These comments are all based on my experiences of being a monk in Thailand.
SarathW

Re: What did the Buddha say about ordaining children?

Post by SarathW »

not emphasising much other vocational teachings.
Being a monk also a vocation.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Volo

Post by Volo »

First Buddha made rule that minimal age for samaneras is 15 y.o. Then he modified it in a way that virtually any child can be ordained except of very small infants.
“Monks, a boy of less than fifteen years of age should not be let go forth. Whoever should let (one such) go forth, there is an offence of wrong-doing.”475
Kd.1.51.1 Now at that time the family, faithful, believing, who supported the venerable Ānanda, passed away as a result of malaria, but two boys survived. These, having seen monks, ran up to them according to their former allowable custom, (but) the monks sent them away. These cried on being sent away by the monks. Then it occurred to the venerable Ānanda: “It is laid down by the Lord that a boy of less than fifteen years of age should not be allowed to go forth, and these boys are less than fifteen years of age. Now by what means might these boys not be lost?” Then the venerable Ānanda told this matter to the Lord. He said:
“But, Ānanda, are these boys able to scare476 crows?”
“They are able (to do so), Lord.” Then the Lord, on this occasion, in this connection having given reasoned talk, addressed the monks, saying:
“I allow you, monks, to let a youth of less than fifteen years of age and who is a scarer of crows477 go forth.”
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

I see. Thank you! :)
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Rahula was generally held to have been 7 when he went forth under the Buddha.

Here is an extensive study on the topic if you are interested: https://books.google.pl/books?id=_TytPQ ... &q&f=false