I am a day and a half away from ordination in Thailand :)

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Chanh Dao

I am a day and a half away from ordination in Thailand :)

Post by Chanh Dao »

Very excited about it. I'm 25 and from America. Living in a small monastery where not many monks speak any English!

Questions, advice, encouragement would all be appreciated!
:) 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
DarrenM

Re: I am a day and a half away from ordination in Thailand :)

Post by DarrenM »

That’s fantastic, I rejoice and wish the very best in your monastic life.
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
Miroku

Post by Miroku »

Good luck, buddy! I am very glad you found the guts to do it! :thumbsup:
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Have a wonderful time.

This opportunity may not come again for millions of years so make the best of it and keep us updated!
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Wow congratulations! That was fast!
Remember to take it easy and not push too hard. It's easy to be very energetic and too enthusiastic at the start, and it's unhealthy for both body and mind.
You'll see what I'm talking about, but maybe only looking back on it.

How long will you stay at this monastery?
When it's time to renew your Visa, how will you do that?

And remember, if you disrobe it's not the end of the world. You can leave and then come back again seven times at least.

Best wishes with it.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Congrats, dude! I wish you a fruitful monastic life.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Abbot has connections at Thai consulate or whatever it's called. For visa.

I'm getting ordained by a district Abbot who is in charge of a very large area in Thailand
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Best of luck Chanh Dao!

Kevin... :anjali:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Chanh Dao wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 pm Abbot has connections at Thai consulate or whatever it's called. For visa.
Oh that's very good, because it can be a real hassle for a farang bhikkhu.
And it's good that you are being ordained by a well known Ajahn, because other monasteries you may wish to visit or start at will have heard of him.
xofz

Post by xofz »

This will be fast progress. Remember, as a monk one is considered to be holy (and one might feel pressured to teach). Other than the reverence (and occasional outright worship), the life of a monk is quite pleasurable (or so this one has heard).
becoming aware!
mountainsandrivers

Post by mountainsandrivers »

Chanh Dao wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:02 am Very excited about it. I'm 25 and from America. Living in a small monastery where not many monks speak any English!

Questions, advice, encouragement would all be appreciated!
:) 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
Whereabouts is the monastery? I'm coming to Thailand in January and visiting a few. I'm curious what was the process to become ordained? Was there a waiting period? How did you build a relationship with this temple? What are the expectations for your practice while you're there?

All the best to you!
Lonely upasaka

Post by Lonely upasaka »

Chanh Dao wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 pm Abbot has connections at Thai consulate or whatever it's called. For visa.
What the benefits? He will handle all your visa trouble? What about the future when you decide to leave this monastery, how will you handle visa?
Impermanent are all formations;
Their nature is to arise and vanish.
Having arisen, they cease:
Their appeasement is blissful.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Lonely upasaka wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:07 pm What the benefits? He will handle all your visa trouble?
Having connections means they smooth over most irregular problems with visas and paperwork. And sometimes it means the foreign monk can do it from their monastery, and doesn't have to go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to do it.
Having important people as friends and connections in Thailand can make things much easier.
It's similar to corruption, but in a positive way. No money, just trust and social connection.
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Just a quick update. I've come down with a serious fever and am in hospital for a few days.

Litterally from ordination to serious illness and than in hospital.
Ouch
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Chanh Dao wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:33 am Just a quick update. I've come down with a serious fever and am in hospital for a few days.

Litterally from ordination to serious illness and than in hospital.
Ouch
I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you can use your illness as grist for the mill.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."