Anagarika is post-canonical invention

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
khemindas

Anagarika is post-canonical invention

Postby khemindas » Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 am

The terms Anagārika and Anagarikā does not appeared in the Pali canon - Tipitaka, laity Upasaka and Upasika has accepted 8 precepts only on Uposatha days. So those terms appeared only in Atthakatha and later Pali literature. Originally Upasaka accepted 8 precepts only in Uposatha days, and if they wanted go further they became Samaneras, and finally Bhikkhus.

R1111

Re: Anagarika is post-canonical invention

Postby R1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 am

It is definitely a post-canonical invention, in the Sutta Pitaka i have only seen 4 month probation for converts and novice ordination for young people.
Is it common in Burma to ordain as Anagarika?
Does anybody know who invented Anagarika ordinations?

khemindas

Postby khemindas » Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 am

R1111 wrote:It is definitely a post-canonical invention, in the Sutta Pitaka i have only seen 4 month probation for converts and novice ordination for young people.
Is it common in Burma to ordain as Anagarika?
Does anybody know who invented Anagarika ordinations?

In Myanmar I never saw any Anagarika. It's supposed to be most invented by Anagarika Dharmapala in Sri Lanka https://books.google.com/books?id=Q11ID2xfqD8C&pg=PA198 . But how it was invented in wat pananachat thai ajahn chaa monastery i don't know.

cjmacie

Postby cjmacie » Thu May 18, 2017 9:54 am

Interesting -- I'd not heard of this status/function, but have observed white-clothed assistants with Burmese monks. I thought they were novices.

When U Pandita Sayadaw was last here in San Jose, a couple of years ago at Vesak, there was an American woman in his retinue who translated his dhamma talk into English. She wore all white. I talked with her briefly, asked if she were a bhikkhuni; she said no. I didn't know to ask of "Anagarika" status then.

A Vietnamese woman at the same center, who often translates dhamma talks into Vietnamese (the monastery with Burmese monks, is in the heart of the "Little Saigon" area of San Jose, Calif.), also seems to live and work there, and often wears all white.

This video that shows Mahasi Sayadaw, ca. 1952, shows a procession of people in what looks like white robes: (at ca. 4 minutes 25 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U7TtSeOlG4

R1111

Postby R1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 pm

wonder what happens if a lay Arahant was ordained as Anagarika :thinking:

Bhante Lucky

Postby Bhante Lucky » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm

R1111 wrote:wonder what happens if a lay Arahant was ordained as Anagarika :thinking:

They would become very experienced at washing dishes, sweeping, and cleaning, in addition to being an Arahant. :tongue:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11

R1111

Postby R1111 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:30 am

Bhante Lucky wrote:
R1111 wrote:wonder what happens if a lay Arahant was ordained as Anagarika :thinking:

They would become very experienced at washing dishes, sweeping, and cleaning, in addition to being an Arahant. :tongue:

What i was getting at is whether or not the state of an Anagarika could support Arahantship. I am inclined to guess that it can not because Anagarikas are widely regarded as lay people by both monastics and the laity.

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 am

Bhante Lucky wrote:

Ha, Ha That is how you motivate the Anagarika to become a samanera.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”