Phra Khantipalo

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
cooran

Phra Khantipalo

Post by cooran »

Sadly, Lawrence Phra Khantipalo, who played an important role in promoting Buddhism in Australia, is in the last stages of Dementia.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wat-Budd ... 0499001140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pilgrim

Re: Phra Khantipalo

Post by pilgrim »

Edit: The last post on that particular thread, dated 6 December indicates he is hanging on...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

In the early 70's I wrote to Phra Kantipalo in Bangkok, asking for advice. He wrote back a multi-page letter, a short book, in his beautiful hand writing, addressing my concerns and questions. It was a lovely letter, very generous, very kind, very helpful. With this letter he opened up for me the Theravada which had been closed by being called hinayana in the popular literature that was then available. When I went to Bangkok to ordain in 1974, he was then in Australia, but I got to stay in his room at Wat Bowan. I am very thankful to him for his kindness, and I hope that his passing will be peaceful.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

:candle: :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

:candle:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Zom

Post by Zom »

Wonder if he is still a monk. Some years ago I heard he odrained as samanera in Vietnamese Mahayana tradition.
paul

Post by paul »

Old age, sickness......
I stayed at Wat Buddha Dhamma in 1990 when he was still a monk: after that he became influenced by the Greater Vehicle and at one stage WBD almost became a Tibetan facility when he disrobed and left for the household life precipitating a management changeover. I happened to be reading his website recently and noted his teaching had returned to an almost completely orthodox Theravada content, except for the interpretation of the third Foundation of Mindfulness, which was misinterpreted as 'heart', instead of general state of mind. Many don't know that early Buddhists mistakenly located the heart to be the origin of thought rather than the brain, the function of which they didn't know.
jameswang

Post by jameswang »

Zom wrote:Wonder if he is still a monk. Some years ago I heard he odrained as samanera in Vietnamese Mahayana tradition.
To my knowledge, no more. He was in Malaysia as a lay person some years ago. At that time, he was involved in a more eclectic kind of Buddhism in Australia. The samanera ordination probably came later.
BapakDon

Post by BapakDon »

Do anyone know the medical status of Khantipalo? Perhaps he has passed.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

BapakDon wrote:Do anyone know the medical status of Khantipalo? Perhaps he has passed.
He was still alive on 30th November last year.

https://www.facebook.com/Laurence-of-Em ... 609963440/
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Way~Farer

Post by Way~Farer »

Phra Khantipalo was presiding at my first ever retreat, at Wat Buddha Dhamma, in about 1979. He was very kind to me also. Actually I saw him a few times around the time he disrobed, in the 1990's, at the Uni of Sydney. My impression was he was going through an existential crisis - well, not necessarily 'crisis', in that he was still quite equanimous, but nevertheless very deeply questioning his former convictions. That was when he became attracted to Mahāyāna teachings. Then he started a centre in Townsville, where I last heard from him, by email, in the very early 2000's. I am sorry for him that old age has been so difficult, but very glad to see he is being well cared for and sorrounded by compassionate carers. I think he was a very important teacher for a lot of us novice Buddhists here in Australia.

:namaste:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Way~Farer wrote:I think he was a very important teacher for a lot of us novice Buddhists here in Australia.
Would you happen to know what became of Susaññā, the Australian nun whom Khantipālo ordained? As a mae chee she came to spend the vassa with us at Wat Pa Ban Tard in 1986. After Khantipālo's disrobing I heard that she had ordained as a sāmaṇerī somewhere, but since then I've lost track of her.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Way~Farer

Post by Way~Farer »

Sorry but I don't. I don't recall that lady, but it's a long time ago.
BapakDon

Post by BapakDon »

My wife and I visited Lawrence at Clarinda Manor on 17 and /18/09/19. Physically he looks fine. However, memory has gone. I have known him for many years and he did not recognize me at all. Does not speak. A nurse told me that sometimes he starts to chant.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

BapakDon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:02 am My wife and I visited Lawrence at Clarinda Manor on 17 and /18/09/19. Physically he looks fine. However, memory has gone. I have known him for many years and he did not recognize me at all. Does not speak. A nurse told me that sometimes he starts to chant.
Thanks for posting this report.

:candle:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)