Yasodhara and Rahula

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
daverupa

Re: Yasodhara and Rahula

Post by daverupa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

mikenz66 wrote:But maybe that's in the Vinaya.
The part which sets up the rule that you have to be 20 to ordain, and have parental consent.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:09 am

daverupa wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:But maybe that's in the Vinaya.
The part which sets up the rule that you have to be 20 to ordain, and have parental consent.
Ahh, thanks. Forgot that bit...

:anjali:
Mike

seniya

Post by seniya » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:10 pm

The great Buddhist scholar Andre Bareau has written a most fascinating article on the Yasodhara legends which is now available at http://www.buddha-kyra.com/wife.htm. Kyra Pahlen, who translated this article from French did a rather poor job - Kathmandu instead of Kapilavatthu, Mahavasti instead of Mahavastu and even Solomon instead of Suddhodana!!! But don’t let these and a few other clangers put you off this most interesting bit of research.....
I'm sorry if my words are not understandable and it is in impolite expression, because my native language is not English....

Mettacitena

_/\_