Digha Nikaya = Buddhist marketing??

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Tex

Digha Nikaya = Buddhist marketing??

Post by Tex »

Stumbled across this regarding the DN:
Recent scholarship suggests that a distinguishing trait of the Digha Nikaya may be that it was "intended for the purpose of propaganda, to attract converts to the new religion." 1
The footnote is:
1. Bhikkhu Bodhi, Connected Discourses of the Buddha (Somerville, Mass.: Wisdom Publications, 2000), p.31, referring to Joy Manné's "Categories of Sutta in the Pali Nikayas and Their Implications for Our Appreciation of the Buddhist Teaching and Literature," Journal of the Pali Text Society 15 (1990): 29-87.
From: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sutta.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried briefly to find the Joy Manne article online, but was unsuccessful.

So, is this a common conclusion, that perhaps part of the Digha Nikaya's purpose was to attract new Buddhists?

(If this is a silly question I apologize, I just haven't heard anything like this before. Thanks in advance for any insight.)
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
retrofuturist

Re: Digha Nikaya = Buddhist marketing??

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tex,

I'll move this to the General Theravada section, because it's not really relevant to Classical Theravada.

In the meantime, while you wait for some responses, check out the following thread...

Chronology of the Pali Canon
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Tex

Post by Tex »

Would you believe I started typing it in the General Forum and then changed my mind?

:smile:

Thanks for moving.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Individual

Post by Individual »

According to that citation, Bhikkhu Bodhi mentions this in pg. 31 of his translation (from Wisdom Publications) of the Samyutta Nikaya. Anyone who has this translation, please look at pg. 31 and see if he says anything more about it.

Volume 15 of the PTS journal, in 1990, when this was mentioned, can also be bought here for 22 pounds (whatever that is in dollars).
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Bhikkhu Bodhi mentions this in several places. Perhaps "proaganda" is too strong. The point seems to be that Suttas that would appeal to non-Buddhists tend to be in the DN. The MN and SN contains Suttas that would be mostly of interest for Monks to study and the AN has helpful lists that a monk might select from when giving Dhamma talks.

Metta
Mike
Individual

Post by Individual »

mikenz66 wrote:Perhaps "proaganda" is too strong.
I would definitely say so. Propaganda, in English, has strong connotations of radicalism and proselytizing. It's largely associated with the "propaganda" of Marxism and Fascism, the far-left and far-right.

The Diamond Sutra
Element

Post by Element »

Tex wrote:
Recent scholarship suggests that a distinguishing trait of the Digha Nikaya may be that it was "intended for the purpose of propaganda, to attract converts to the new religion." 1
The DN has attracted its fair share of criticism. In reading it, one can discern where it diverges from the other collections. In it is also the impression of the beginnings of the Mahayana style suttas, where all of the various deities are below the Buddha. In brief, more than enough view much of the DN was not actually spoken by the Buddha.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Element wrote:In reading it, one can discern where it diverges from the other collections.
Could you or anyone else give specific examples?

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Does anyone know of any other scholars who make similar claims regarding the Digha Nikaya?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
brian.ananda

Post by brian.ananda »

The Digha Nikaya is a gradual teaching, much similar to the Majjhima. Propoganda, in the sense it has been interpreted & discussed here, would probably not apply since one would have already been attracted to Buddhism before reading or listening to the Dialogues.

I have spent a great deal of time & effort doing research over the past 2 years to answer questions such as those asked in this thread. In fact, I'm creating a website to help others avoid the confusion I went through.

The Digha Nikaya, as with the other 4 Nikayas, can be considered extremely authentic...more so than any other scripture. It was recited, checked for errors, and the such during the 1st Council (and those that convened later). You should never discount something as the word of Buddha just because dieties are mentioned. Given, the Buddha never spoke of the pantheon of gods that the Mahayana would have us believe, but heavenly & hellish planes of existence is very central to the Buddha's doctrine. He spoke of it quite often.

Look at it like this: It is the difference between believing there is life on other planets & believing that they are all little green men. Alternate dimensions & dieties WERE spoken of by the Buddha, quite regularly. However, dieties appearing visible to the human eye & intervening with the human existence can be questioned.

For example, more Thervadins believe in the alternates planes as taught by the Buddha. However, when the Buddha hesitated to teach & we are told the diety Brahma Sahampati came down to earth to convince him...well, there is a division as to whether this is symbolic of his inner tormoil.

In short, the Nikayas are very authentic. In fact, the only authentic texts available. The Mahayana tradition is based of of the Lotus Sutra, which we now know (as fact) is not the word of the historical Buddha, but was rather authored by Nargarjuna and several others. No surprise there, as the sutra contradicts several teachings that are central to the Buddha's entire doctrine.

A lot of the confusion comes about because the Mahayana perpetuate the nonsense. They can't say "This isn't the word of Buddha, but it IS by one of the leading spiritual philosophers of that time...and as such is very authentic in another way". Let's face it...the Bible is almost entirely written by Apostles. Why can't we admit & accept that many Buddhist sutras are the same...and STOP THE CONFUSION!

With metta,
Brian Ananda
waterloo_sunset

Post by waterloo_sunset »

Bit of thread necromancy going on here, but I just wanted to point out that I was able to find the Manne article on the Pali Text Society's website. They make the old journal editions available as PDFs: check it out. (It's in Vol XV)

Thought this might be useful to somebody like me who came here via Google search :)
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

I was trying to use inductive reasoning to basically say the same thing here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=33108

Now I will go with complete intuition, and throw logic out the window = I think Majjhima is older.

Not the sutta with Greeks in it, but the general collection.

Its so haphazard, but wide-ranging it seems that it covers all Buddhist topics without hardly any real organization.

Also, its more personal than the other collections = The Buddha speaks of his own personal experience in the first person very often, and is very biographical, as in the Ariyapariyesana Sutta and the Maha-Saccaka Sutta.

I read all of the Bikkhu Bodhi introductions and understand his reasoning behind the purposes of the Nikayas, but something makes the Buddha seem the most like a real human being in the Majjhima.

I don't claim to be a real scholar, and I do admire the work of Analayo, Bodhi, and others, but since its not conclusive, I am just posting my "gut feeling."

The Digha does feel more like pericope-patchwork to me, as the Samyutta and Anguttara feel like snippets to answer specific questions.
JiWe2

Post by JiWe2 »

In the Sarvāstivādavinayavibhāṣā the purpose of compiling the scriptures into the four Āgamas is described:

"The sermons which were delivered according to occasions for the sake of gods and people were com­piled in the Ekottarāgama. This is what preachers esteem.

For in­telligent persons profound doctrines were set forth. They were compiled in the Madhyamāgama. This is what scholars esteem.

Various kinds of meditation were set forth. They were compiled in the Saṃyuktāgama. This is what meditation practitioners esteem.

To refute various heterodoxies is the purpose of the Dīrghāgama."

-Sarvāstivāda Buddhist scholasticism, by Charles Willemen, Bart Dessein, Collett Cox.