Vibhanga vs Patimokkha

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
TRobinson465

Vibhanga vs Patimokkha

Post by TRobinson465 »

Hello all,

I'm sure many of you are familiar with suttacentral and their way of navigating texts. The site makes a distinction between the Vibhanga and the patimokkha. Does anyone here understand what the difference is? When i read the texts in the Vibhanga it shows basically what i thought was the patimokkha. So I was a bit confused.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.
BKh

Re: Vibhanga vs Patimokkha

Post by BKh »

So, you know that they have their own discussion forum where you are much more likely to get a precise answer to your question? Although at the moment they aren't registering new users. https://discourse.suttacentral.net/

In the Pali tradition, the Patimokkha as a document with only the rules (as recited on the uposatha days), does not exist in Asian manuscripts. The rules are simply part of the Vibhanga, where their whole evolution is explained.

Looking at the Patimokkha only section on SC, it seems like maybe that section is for showing parallels between other language versions of the Patimokkha.
ReadingFaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas | BuddhaRupa Images of the Buddha across time and space
TRobinson465

Re: Vibhanga vs Patimokkha

Post by TRobinson465 »

Im aware of thier forum. i just dont want to make another account and don't like much of what goes on on that forum anyways so i didnt want to make an account just for one question.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.