MN 36 parallels for section where Buddha as a 9 year old boy has first jhana

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
frank k

MN 36 parallels for section where Buddha as a 9 year old boy has first jhana

Post by frank k » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:04 pm

I read up on B. Analayo's Agama comparative notes between the passage in question in various EBT schools (pali, more than one agama lineage, sanskrit...).

But he didn't have the part I'm interested in. He talks about how one recension talks about Buddha as a body experiencing all 4 jhanas instead of just first jhana for example.

Does anyone have quote and references for the passages in question?

In the pali version, all it says is while his father was working, buddha sat down in the cool shade of a tree and spontaneously entered first jhana.

I'm especially interested in one of the Agamas, which says the same thing, but adds that right before he entered jhana, he had been observing the dukkha of watching earthworms getting eaten by birds.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages

DooDoot

Re: MN 36 parallels for section where Buddha as a 9 year old boy has first jhana

Post by DooDoot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:31 am

frank k wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:04 pm
...right before he entered jhana, he had been observing the dukkha of watching earthworms getting eaten by birds.
If true, this appears to justify the view Boy Siddharta's jhana was born of disenchantment & letting go rather than born of 'yogic manipulative exercises' of the fake jhani. When it is commonly said Gotama had the realisation "jhana" is the way to Awakening, I think the real way to Awakening Gotama realised was "letting go". Imo, Gotama recollected back to the rose-apple tree, when he experienced how letting go resulted in the happiness of jhana. Its the letting go rather than the jhana that was important. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati