suttas mentioned in tipitaka

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
khemindas

suttas mentioned in tipitaka

Post by khemindas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 am

i'm giving basic list of suttas which I found out mentioned in Tipitaka by Buddha, his contemporary disciples, and late disciples such as nagasena e.t.c.
snp 1.6 (parabhava)
snp 2.1 (ratana)
snp 2.4 (mahamangala)
snp 4.9 (magandhia questions)
snp 5.2 (ajita questions)
snp 5.3 (metteya questions)
snp 5.4 (punnaka questions)
snp 5.14 (udayi questions)
ud 3.2 (nanda sutta)
ud 4.4 (junha (yakkhapahara) sutta)
dn 1 (brahmajala sutta)
dn 2 (samannaphala)
dn 21 (sakka questions)
dn 32 (atanatiya)
mn 63 (culamalunkya)
mn 67 (catuma)
mn 86 (angulimala)
an 4.67 (ahiraja)
an 10.27 (pathama mahapanha)
sn 4.18 (pinda sutta)
sn 4.25 (mara dhitu)
sn 5.10 (vajira)
sn 7.6 (jata sutta)
sn 10.12 (alavaka sutta)
sn 11.3 (dhajjaga)
sn 56.11 (dhammacakka)
ja 159

If you find any other suttas in suttas or in vinaya or even at later sources such as abidhamma or late part of khuddaka, please add it at this topic.

Volo

Re: suttas mentioned in tipitaka

Post by Volo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 am

Could you specify what exactly are you looking for. Do you want to have a list of the suttas, which are mentioned by title in other parts of the Canon/post canonical literature? I.e. in a certain sutta it would be said something like "as it is said in Ratana sutta...." Is that what you want? If "yes", then it might be useful also to add reference to where each sutta is mentioned, not only which sutta is refered to.

Some more to the list from edicts of Asoka:
Circumstantial evidence for the early existence of several other texts presently included in the Suttanipāta is provided by the Bhabra Inscription of King Asoka, where he cites seven discourses on the Dhamma that he desires “many monks and nuns should hear frequently and meditate upon, and likewise laymen and laywomen.” Three can be reasonably identified with texts now existing in Sn. The Munigāthā are almost certainly the verses of the Muni Sutta (I,12). The Moneyya Sutta is probably the Nālaka Sutta (III,11), excluding the introductory verses. And since Upatissa was the personal name of Sāriputta, the Upatisapasina — Upatissa’s Questions — is probably the Sāriputta Sutta (IV,16), where Sāriputta asks questions of the Buddha.
VBB, Suttanipata

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am

Ven. Sujato & Ven. Brahmali’s The Authenticity of the Early Buddhist Texts has a list, pp. 85-87 of the PDF or pp. 79-81 of the printed document (4.3.2 Internal cross-references).

I had created a topic in SuttaCentral asking the same question, where I got the reference I just mentioned.
Another poster replied: “in Thag6.12 both the simile of the saw and the simile of the son’s flesh (SN12.63) are mentioned”.

budo

Post by budo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Thank you for compiling this list

budo

Post by budo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm

khemindas wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 am

If you find any other suttas in suttas or in vinaya or even at later sources such as abidhamma or late part of khuddaka, please add it at this topic.
Here's a reference
“Yes, reverend Sir,” said venerable Soṇa, and after replying to the Gracious One, he melodiously recited all sixteen discourses of the Chapter of the Eights.

Then at the end of venerable Soṇa’s melodious recitation the Gracious One greatly rejoiced, saying: “Good, good, monk, well learned, monk, well remembered, well born in mind, are the sixteen discourses of the Chapter of the Eights, you are endowed with a good voice, with good enunciation, pure articulation, which makes the meaning clear. How many Rains do you have, monk?”
- Ud 5.6

Apparently it's referring to Atthaka Vaga of Sutta Nipata