Debating the Buddha

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
retrofuturist

Debating the Buddha

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

In the Sutta Pitaka we see the Buddha having many debates with ascetics and wanderers from other spiritual traditions. Accordingly, the debates and their outcomes are always presented from the Buddhist perspective.

Did any other spiritual traditions keep their own records of debates that took place between their own spritual leaders and the Buddha and his disciples?

If so, do you have any examples you could share?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Re: Debating the Buddha

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

In the Sutta Pitaka we see the Buddha having many debates with ascetics and wanderers from other spiritual traditions. Accordingly, the debates and their outcomes are always presented from the Buddhist perspective.

Did any other spiritual traditions keep their own records of debates that took place between their own spritual leaders and the Buddha and his disciples?

If so, do you have any examples you could share?

Metta,
If they did i doubt they would keep record of the debates they lost to the Buddha :tongue: Nobody messes with Buddha :thumbsup:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
bodom wrote:If they did i doubt they would keep record of the debates they lost to the Buddha :tongue: Nobody messes with Buddha :thumbsup:
Yeah, he da man!

;)

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
bodom wrote:If they did i doubt they would keep record of the debates they lost to the Buddha :tongue: Nobody messes with Buddha :thumbsup:
Yeah, he da man!

;)

Metta,
That is a very interesting question though, something ive never looked into and would be very intrigued to read if there was. I think it would give another historical look at the Buddha other than what we have learned from the tipitaka.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I dont think there is, I am sure (99% at best) I have read in general religion books that no mention of the Buddha is in the Jain texts or elsewhere.

but he is the Best! definitely not the Boss.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kare

Post by Kare »

I think I have heard that the Jains have some records of those debates - where of course the Jain always is the winner ... :roll:

But this may be nothing but a rumor - and I have no idea where I might have picked it up.

There is, however, a book collecting dust in my shelves, titled "Buddhism as presented by the Brahmanical systems", which might be of interest. I have not read it yet (I'm suffering from ganthalobha - buying more books than I get around to read) - but I see that it contains writings from the classical Brahmanical literature. I doubt any of them go all the way back to Buddha himself.
Mettāya,
Kåre
SDC

Post by SDC »

Interesting question, Retro. It would definitely be interesting to see if there is a record. I imagine it would be hard to find. A long line of humble people would have had to ensure the protection of that information.

Because quite a few of those that debated with the Buddha became followers after losing, so there would be no need for them to ensure that it was documented (to be remembered) in the teachings of their previous religion. As for those that were disgraced and did not seek refuge, they probably did not go back and report the facts accurately anyway. Even if they did, those that became interested in the Buddha after hearing of his wisdom probably sought him out to become followers. Those that were uninterested probably tried to forget the story that same day and also made sure that no one spread the word.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

I believe most of the debates recorded by other folks go a little like this:

"Nuh uh."
"Uh HUH."
"Nuh uh."
"YUH HUH."
"Nuh uh TIMES A THOUSAND."
"Yuh huh times INFINITY."
"Nuh uh times infinity PLUS ONE."
" :tantrum: "

But that's only what the OFFICIAL texts say.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Kare wrote:I think I have heard that the Jains have some records of those debates - where of course the Jain always is the winner ... :roll:

But this may be nothing but a rumor - and I have no idea where I might have picked it up.
There was a previous thread here http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ain#p25752, and I almost could have sworn I read either here or on e-sangha about someone who reported a debate where they believed one of their own tradition beat the Buddha.
Kare wrote: There is, however, a book collecting dust in my shelves, titled "Buddhism as presented by the Brahmanical systems", which might be of interest. I have not read it yet (I'm suffering from ganthalobha - buying more books than I get around to read) - but I see that it contains writings from the classical Brahmanical literature. I doubt any of them go all the way back to Buddha himself.
Another year's worth of dust, eh?

Fig Tree
pt1

Post by pt1 »

fig tree wrote:...and I almost could have sworn I read either here or on e-sangha about someone who reported a debate where they believed one of their own tradition beat the Buddha.
Yes, I think I remember this too. I think it was a debate between a Jain and various buddhist characters in succession (I think Sariputta was included), ending with the Buddha, and the Jain won every time. However, if I remember right, the Buddha, Sariputta and others were arguing from a Mahayana point of view, so at the time I didn't take the debate as a big deal.

It would be interesting to know if perhaps Jains preserved debates between the Buddha and Mahavira, as I think they were contemporaries. The book that Dmytro suggested (in the thread that fig tree linked) might have something on it.

Best wishes
adeh

Post by adeh »

Ven. Sujato in "A History of Mindfulness" says on page 149:the Jains themselves preserve a tradition that the Buddha spent time as a Jain ascetic.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i remember reading once that Sariputta is mentioned in texts from other sects, either hindu or jain... but not buddha, which is interesting as he died before the buddha, i cant seem to find where i read that though and have been thinking about it a bit lately...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

jcsuperstar wrote:i remember reading once that Sariputta is mentioned in texts from other sects, either hindu or jain... but not buddha, which is interesting as he died before the buddha, i cant seem to find where i read that though and have been thinking about it a bit lately...
A late Jain text states that they thought that "buddhism" (sic - not an Indic word) was led by two people, Gautama who emphasized wisdom (?) and Sariputra who emphasized compassion. May stand corrected on those last two points, though.

Earlier Jain stuff makes mention, too, you can check Gombrich's recent "What the Buddha Thought", for some details.
Or, I'd also have a peek into Basham's "Ajivikas", as well.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

pt1 wrote:...the Buddha, Sariputta and others were arguing from a Mahayana point of view...
?...
Heavenstorm

Post by Heavenstorm »

Vedantas too like to proclaim their own victories and how their fore fathers like Adi Shankara defeated and "annihilated" the "misguided" schools of Buddhism from India. On the other hand, Theravadins' cousins, Mahayanists have a couple of "historical records" on the repeated defeats of Adi Shankra by Dharmakirti (or Dharmapala?) over a course of three lifetimes or more. Should I mention the Muslims and Christians as well?

Morale of the story: No one like being a loser........... :)