MN 72 vs MN 120: na upapajjati ??

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
auto

Re: MN 72 vs MN 120: na upapajjati ??

Post by auto »

https://suttacentral.net/mn120/en/sujato
Furthermore, take a mendicant who has faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom. They think: ‘If only I might realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with my own insight due to the ending of defilements.’ They realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life. And they live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements. And, mendicants, that mendicant is not reborn anywhere.”
if you have been reborn by choices previously, but now if hearts desire is fulfilled there is no reason to make choices for rebirth.
They think: ‘If only, when my body breaks up, after death, I would be reborn
sensual desire, desire for existence.
Those choices and meditations of theirs, developed and cultivated like this, lead to rebirth there. This is the path and the practice that leads to rebirth there.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Mahanama, that very mental quality[2] is what is unabandoned within you so that there are times when the mental quality of greed... the mental quality of aversion... the mental quality of delusion invades your mind and remains.[3] For if that mental quality were abandoned in you, you would not live the household life and would not partake of sensuality. It's because that mental quality is not abandoned in you that you live the household life and partake of sensuality.
"I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened bodhisatta, saw as it actually was with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, but as long as I had not attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, I did not claim that I could not be tempted by sensuality.
just use same logic to mn 120. Realizing undefiled freedom of heart you can say there is no rebirth.