Bhikkhu Analayo's new book on Satipatthana practice

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
Frank23

Bhikkhu Analayo's new book on Satipatthana practice

Post by Frank23 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:52 am

Is anyone reading Bhikkhu Analayo's new book, "Satipatthana Meditation: A Practice Guide"?

It won't be released in paper book form in the U.S. until October, but apparently it's out in the U.K., and I was able to buy an eBook copy from the Windhorse website:

https://www.windhorsepublications.com/p ... ide-ebook/

I'm only a chapter or so in, but so far I'm finding it an interesting read. Through his customary practice of comparing Pali suttas to Chinese Agamas, he identifies points that he thinks are likely to be from very early Buddhism due to their occurrence across the different source documents. For the Satipatthana, he sets out a structured practice based on these concepts thought to be early. Along the way he notes other parts of common Satipatthana practice that he thinks grew out of later Theravada commentarial tradition. There is also a set of audio instructions to accompany the text.

one_awakening

Re: Bhikkhu Analayo's new book on Satipatthana practice

Post by one_awakening » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 am

I read his book "Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization", gee it was a hard read. Very technical.
“You only lose what you cling to”

Frank23

Post by Frank23 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:44 am

one_awakening wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 am
I read his book "Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization", gee it was a hard read. Very technical.
That as I recall was his thesis. His writing does lean toward an academic tone. By comparison, this one is at least intended as a practice manual.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 pm

I just got the new-ish "Rebirth" book by Analayo. Looks fascinating! He does tend to be technical, and commentary-oriented, but I've never regretted reading anything by bhante.