This chinese agama version of Anapanasati matches my experiences

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
DooDoot

Re: This chinese agama version of Anapanasati matches my experiences

Post by DooDoot »

auto wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:51 pmbreathing is a sankhara....

at point 8 its calming of mental fabrication. And at 9 we discern mind by sensing it. Perhaps you can sense it and can train points 11 and 12.
Yes but, as i posted, the links you posted about Nirodha Samapatti do not appear related to "calming citta sankhara". Step 8 of Anapanasati is obviously not Nirodha Samapatti.

It has been written that "calming citta sankhara" in practise means "calming the effect upon the citta of rapture & happiness". In other words, it is said to mean both calming rapture and calming how rapture causes the citta (mind) to attach to rapture and crave for rapture.

I think minds (citta) that continuously post about: "I attain jhana; I dwell in jhana; etc" have not practised the steps 7 & 8 of both experiencing & calming citta sankhara because rapture continues to condition (sankhara) the citta into attachment to rapture and producing "self" from rapture.

Step 7 is said to be about experiencing the power of rapture & happiness to enslave & beguile the mind. "Sankhara" is not a good thing in Buddhism. The suttas say "sankhara" ("enslavement of attachment & clinging") is the supreme dukkha.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
auto

Re: This chinese agama version of Anapanasati matches my experiences

Post by auto »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:11 pm
auto wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:51 pmbreathing is a sankhara....

at point 8 its calming of mental fabrication. And at 9 we discern mind by sensing it. Perhaps you can sense it and can train points 11 and 12.
Yes but, as i posted, the links you posted about Nirodha Samapatti do not appear related to "calming citta sankhara". Step 8 of Anapanasati is obviously not Nirodha Samapatti.

It has been written that "calming citta sankhara" in practise means "calming the effect upon the citta of rapture & happiness". In other words, it is said to mean both calming rapture and calming how rapture causes the citta (mind) to attach to rapture and crave for rapture.

I think minds (citta) that continuously post about: "I attain jhana; I dwell in jhana; etc" have not practised the steps 7 & 8 of both experiencing & calming citta sankhara because rapture continues to condition (sankhara) the citta into attachment to rapture and producing "self" from rapture.

Step 7 is said to be about experiencing the power of rapture & happiness to enslave & beguile the mind. "Sankhara" is not a good thing in Buddhism. The suttas say "sankhara" ("enslavement of attachment & clinging") is the supreme dukkha.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"I teach the Dhamma for the abandoning of the gross acquisition of a self, such that, when you practice it, defiling mental qualities will be abandoned, bright mental qualities will grow, and you will enter & remain in the culmination & abundance of discernment, having known & realized it for yourself in the here & now.
defiling sankhara are abandoned, bright mental qualities aren't.

ok nice, i learned something. Point 8 is 8th jhana, and the other points from that is to get cessation
Compare it with Potthapada Sutta
"Now, when the monk is percipient of himself here, then from there to there, step by step, he touches the peak of perception. As he remains at the peak of perception, the thought occurs to him, 'Thinking is bad for me. Not thinking is better for me. If I were to think and will, this perception of mine would cease, and a grosser perception would appear. What if I were neither to think nor to will?' [3] So he neither thinks nor wills, and as he is neither thinking nor willing, that perception ceases [4] and another, grosser perception does not appear. He touches cessation. This, Potthapada, is how there is the alert [5] step-by step attainment of the ultimate cessation of perception.
number up there are footnotes.

it just isn't so elaborate description as it is in anapanasati sutta.

"[9] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the mind.' [10] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in satisfying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out satisfying the mind.' [11] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in steadying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out steadying the mind.' [12] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.'[5]
"[13] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on inconstancy.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on inconstancy.' [14] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on dispassion [literally, fading].' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on dispassion.' [15] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on cessation.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on cessation.' [16] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.'
my current bet it is this. Getting to peak of perception then you will do the 9-16 points to get a cessation.