Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Dhammanando

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by Dhammanando »

daverupa wrote:Ascetic figures before and in early Buddhism : the emergence of Gautama as the Buddha, by Martin Gerald Wiltshire, 1990.
Reviewed and comprehensively trashed by Steven Collins.

Wiltshire’s attempted rejoinder to Collins.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Dhammanando wrote:...comprehensively trashed [&] Wiltshire’s attempted rejoinder...
Anemically trashy criticism, presumably; I can't seem to find it online. Anyway, the rejoinder attempt succeeds, it seems to me.

I think Norman also reviewed this book... maybe I can find that one...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Don't know if it's already listed or not but "The origin of Buddhist Meditation" by Aleander Wynne is a good one.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

daverupa wrote:...I think Norman also reviewed this book... maybe I can find that one...
Norman basically thinks the author lacked the linguistic expertise to write it, at least the way it came to be written, but the review is at least locatable in JSTOR. He wrote some of his own thoughts about paccekabuddhas in Buddhist Studies: Ancient and Modern (Collected Papers on South Asia), for what it's worth. That paper would probably meet with less vitriol, so I'll find it next.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Kamran

Post by Kamran »

The Kosambi Intrigue; A Tale in the Time of Buddha - a historical novel based on a conflict recorded in the pali suttas.

http://www.amazon.com/Kosambi-Intrigue- ... B007SWDG1S
Last edited by Dhammanando on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: As if a man were to turn upright what had been overthrown, reveal what was hidden, show the way to one who was lost, or hold up a lamp in the dark for those with eyesight to see forms, even so have I uninvisibled an invisible url.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Kamran wrote:The Kosambi Intrigue.
Given the portentous title, one would have thought that the author must surely be Robert Ludlum. But no, apparently it's a certain Susan Carol Stone:
  • About the Author

"Susan Stone, Ph.D., is author of "At the Eleventh Hour; Caring for My Dying Mother" (Present Perfect Books, 2001), a memoir on mindfulness and caregiving, which was nominated for "ForeWord Magazine’s" Book of the Year award in 2001. Authors Stephen and Ondrea Levine called the book “an exquisite exploration of the heart.” She is also co-author of "The American Mosaic" (McGraw Hill, 1995), a research study on workforce diversity, and is author of articles on mindfulness. "The Kosambi Intrigue" is her first novel. Susan has meditated for almost 30 years, has lived in monasteries for 3 years and has received mindfulness training from nationally recognized teachers. She teaches Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction at the University of Virginia, and she co-leads the Insight Meditation Community of Charlottesville, a weekly mindfulness meditation group. She has taught mindfulness to middle-school students; founded and taught weekly mindfulness groups in men’s and women’s maximum-security prisons; and is a co-founder of the Blue Ridge Prison Project. She was on the staff of the Being with Dying program at Upaya in Santa Fe NM for two years. Susan leads mindfulness workshops, classes and retreats around the country. She was a hospice volunteer and is a Reiki master who has worked with AIDS patients."

"When a trivial incident sparks conflict in a Buddhist monastery, a young monk named Sati is embroiled in a plot that reaches all the way to the palace and inflames the city of Kosambi."

The story was published in 2012, but with no sequels or further efforts in the same genre. Isn't it odd that Dr. Stone has stopped at just one? One would have thought there'd be a great market for Sutta-inspired novels with Ludlumesque titles...

Nanda Sutta: The Dove-footed Nymph Ultimatum
Kūṭadanta Sutta: The Snaggle-tooth Inheritance
Lakkhaṇa Sutta: The Thirty-two Mark Identity
Kevaḍḍha Sutta: The Miracle Contenders
Tevijja Sutta: The Brahma Affair
Aggañña Sutta: The Abhassara Regression
Sigalovāda Sutta: The Six-Directioned Directive
Kālāma Sutta: The Misquoted Protocol
Sedaka Sutta: The Pole-Climbers' Compact
Aṅgulimāla Sutta: The Finger-Collecting Imperative
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Apparently, its the first book in the "Sati Trilogy" :) I just started reading the Kosambi Intrigue, and its good. Interestingly, its the first historical fiction of the Buddha time since Hesses's Siddartha.

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kamran wrote:Apparently, its the first book in the "Sati Trilogy"...the Kosambi Intrigue
"When a trivial incident sparks conflict in a Buddhist monastery, a young monk named Sati is embroiled in a plot that reaches all the way to the palace and inflames the city of Kosambi. Amid corrosive tensions, Sati struggles to make sense of his monastic calling and the teachings of mindfulness and lovingkindness. He faces challenges that test even the wisdom of the Buddha, exposing the worst and inspiring the best in all those caught in the plot."

JiWe

Post by JiWe »

I came across this, perhaps it's useful?

Linguistic Ambiguities,
the Transmissional Process,
and the Earliest Recoverable Language of Buddhism
by
Bryan Geoffrey Levman

PhD thesis 2014

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bits ... thesis.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piotr

Post by piotr »

Bhikkhu Analayo: The Satipatthana Sutta

http://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/bhikkhu-analayo/
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
JiWe2

Post by JiWe2 »

XII. Mark Allon, (Out of Stock) Available Online
Style and Function: A study of the dominant stylistic features of the prose portions of Pali canonical sutta texts and their mnemonic function (1997). Paper, xiv, 394 pages. ISBN 4-906267-40-8. 3,200 yen.
DeannaDuarte

Post by DeannaDuarte »

It was a nice approach to psychology. Thanks fro sharing.
Bhikkhu Cintita

Post by Bhikkhu Cintita »

I would like to recommend my own introductory textbook, Buddhist Life / Buddhist Path: the foundations of Buddhist based on earliest sources.

I have taught a course on early Buddhism for many years, initially making use of Bhikkhu Bodhi's In Buddha's words, but in need in something more concise. After many revisions I am finally satisfied with the text. It follows the Buddha's gradual instruction, taking up fundamentals of ethics, Buddhist community and monasticism and refuge in the first half of the book, then the noble eightfold path in the second. It has twelve chapters, suitable for a twelve-week course. I will offer the course anew here in Austin, Texas on November 5, but audios of the classes are also available on-line.

The book is available as a pdf for download, or may be ordered for the cost of printing from Lulu.com. More information is available at: HERE.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks, Bhante, it looks like a great book.

:heart:
Mike
pulga

Post by pulga »

Professor Allon has made his book Style and Function: A Study of the Dominant Stylistic Features of the Prose Portions of Pāli Canonical Sutta Texts and their Mnemonic Function available for download.

https://www.academia.edu/35642735/Style ... ction_1997

A very valuable and fascinating study.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book