Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
JiWe2

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by JiWe2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:33 pm

XII. Mark Allon, (Out of Stock) Available Online
Style and Function: A study of the dominant stylistic features of the prose portions of Pali canonical sutta texts and their mnemonic function (1997). Paper, xiv, 394 pages. ISBN 4-906267-40-8. 3,200 yen.

DeannaDuarte

Post by DeannaDuarte » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:24 pm

It was a nice approach to psychology. Thanks fro sharing.

Bhikkhu Cintita

Post by Bhikkhu Cintita » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I would like to recommend my own introductory textbook, Buddhist Life / Buddhist Path: the foundations of Buddhist based on earliest sources.

I have taught a course on early Buddhism for many years, initially making use of Bhikkhu Bodhi's In Buddha's words, but in need in something more concise. After many revisions I am finally satisfied with the text. It follows the Buddha's gradual instruction, taking up fundamentals of ethics, Buddhist community and monasticism and refuge in the first half of the book, then the noble eightfold path in the second. It has twelve chapters, suitable for a twelve-week course. I will offer the course anew here in Austin, Texas on November 5, but audios of the classes are also available on-line.

The book is available as a pdf for download, or may be ordered for the cost of printing from Lulu.com. More information is available at: HERE.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks, Bhante, it looks like a great book.

:heart:
Mike